Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Washing Airplanes Suck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Jagged, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yeah.

Acidic Soap + Firehose == no good.

In my bi-monthly wash rack detail right now. We had a wash yesterday, one coming up tomorrow, and three next week. Ugh. Makes you skin peel off, eyes burn, and your mouth numb.

2. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

i washed 4 today... well, i put 4 birds on the rack and the civ's washed them for me anyway... tough job... ;)

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

4 in a day, not bad.... what kind?

It takes us from about 8 AM till 5 PM to wash and lube a KC-135 (Boeing 707).

4. Seventy4Blazer

they was on average 4 AH-1W, 3 UH-1N and 2 or 3 CH-53E's on any given day. this is for one wash rack and there are two active racks. the second does zero 53's and adds a couple of the other two.

they come in at 5:30am, start working at 6:30 and leave by 2 or 3 pm.

KC-135, thats a refuler isnt it?

5. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Yep. That would be it. Newest model I've worked on is a 63 ;)

We have only one 'rack' which is inside our iso (isochronal maintenance) hangar. We use a crew of 9 to wash. Once you get a crew that's been working together a while you can start around 9 and finish around 1.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That was the only thing I ended up liking about being at the River for 19 months - civilian contract wash crews. Everywhere else I've been, we washed 'em ourselves.

Jagged, what's your wash interval on your birds? In the Corps, it's every 14 days - lots of fun when you're in a squadron with 16 airframes, and you do them yourselves...

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

90 days, before they go into Refurb, ISO, or Depot

We only have 1 airframe, but a whole crapton of jets.

8. Seventy4Blazer

we washed the UH's in yuma by ourself. if we didnt want to do it it was a 2.5 mile tow to the civ wash rack. much easier to wash them by ourselvs.

im a bubble chasing tin bender as well, but now a controller... today is my last day touching NALCOMIS. :haha:

im happy about that....

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

what kind of soap is it?
    we used to use turko, nasty ****, but on this jet we have this foam crap, squirt it on the jet its all foamy and stuff.
    doesnt turn your hands red and make them go numb like turko, but it stings like a m'er f'er when it gets in your eyes:mad: :D

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I don't know what it's called, but it's this piss-colored crap. God help you if it gets in your eyes (or pores even... I hate getting it on my face within a few hours of shaving).

My favorite soap was this "Type 5" stuff... the blue ****. It worked so well it'd peel the paint off the jet in 15 minutes.

11. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

It sucks worse in the winter.

We used to use the Turco soap and about the time I got out ('97) they had switched to some kind of citrus based soap.

We had 14 C-130s at VMGR-252 & 12 at VMGRT-253 and washed them on a 28 day cycle.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The closest I've come to washing an airplane since I got out was helping clean up the aftermath of a loose generator line on a C-130 J when I was working for Lockheed. We used a garden sprayer full of alcohol and some kind of synthetic absorbent mats.

Like all spills, it was no more than 4.9 gallons:D

12. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

jeez our wash interval is 365 days
    on prowlers it was 28 days

13. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Someone left the spout on after filling a soap bucket. Our soap container holds 280 gallons :(

Luckily there was a catch pan (400 gallon) under it. So... grab forklift, move soap container, run pneumatic pump for 2.5 hours.... forklift full (again) container on catch can.

14. GotLabs

GotLabs 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Just wait until you get "enhanced Nalcomis". STAY AWAY FROM THE OSPREY AS LONG AS YOU CAN!!!!

15. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

That would be "optimized" NALCOMIS, and everyone will have it soon. My squadron was the first in the Corps to go through the ordeal of transitioning from "legacy" NALCOMIS to optimized. What a F'n nightmare... we had reps from NAVAIR up our butts for weeks.

Want an even better one? Wait until you get CMB's installed on your components. It's about as much fun as rolling around on razor blades, then going swimming in a shark tank... but without the death to end the pain.

16. Seventy4Blazer

14 day wash and 28 day corrosion inspection. cut it in half on the boat.
    Grant

17. GotLabs

enhanced/optimized, I would rather go back to green mafs. A whole lot easier to cheat :D . As for the cmbs, I asked around about them and all the answers are "no, we will not be getting them". I expect them within three years.:haha:

18. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Hell yeah!:wink1: Before we got Optimized, whenever we went on det we did green MAF's. I loved going on det...
    Now, Optimized comes with a couple laptops for det use... sucks. Badly. Only good thing is the pilots usually get the email and Interweb turned on them, so at least you can IM/email the ol'lady from the road; "Yeah, honey, this Nellis det really sucks. They won't let us off the base at all. Oh, that's the bus to the cas... I mean CHOW HALL. Gotta go!"

What do you work on?

19. Seventy4Blazer

well, im done with the air wing now, so no more having birds towed to the rack....

ill be heading up to 29 stumps monday after i see my unit of to the busses for Iraq. ill be up there for 6 months. i have 199 days left and will have to fight hard to get my 30 days terminal. as of now i wont be getting but 20...

optimize is down here at MALS, but not on the line for the rest of the units. HMLA-169 was the first on the line of gun units to switch over to NMCI so they could use them in Iraq. what a PITA. nothing prints right off NALCOMIS, and the NMCI people SUCK

20. GotLabs

Well 46's 95-Dec 2005. Going through school now for v22's:doah: . Flight line!:D