Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waste of time....

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by 55Willy, Jan 8, 2003.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

After giving the 86 burb a once over one day on my lunch, it was a good 20 footer( stand 20 feet away it looks 100% )
    After I went intoday for a test drive, it had to be jumped, and you have to slam the hood like it's a trap door on your tree fort with girls trying to get it( like if it waslifted there is no chance in me closing it)

Then the radio that was a subaru cd player was hacked intot he dash, all that work to put that in and it doesn't even work, and non of the windows go down. I got my hopes up by the looks but it's just another problem child, Which I don't need.
    Muddytazz(jeff) rounded me up some more phone numbers to call on for a burb and a 89 pickup.
    Hopefully I can find something I want soon. I drove by 4 other lots here and not a one had a burb or a crew cab which are what I really want.

OH well.

-Jeremy
    Soon to be a " /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif" (maybe /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif)

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

aw man that sucks! well you're better off not buying it.

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I did find a crew cab dually about 2 hours south of me.
    1 ton 4x4 fuel injected 454 th400 np205.
    Not much for tire options on a dually, unless i did a srw hub swap and a rear end swap and ditched the fenders...too much work, Maybe just get it and do a 6" all spring with some metric 35's ???

-Jeremy

4. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

naw, alcoa wheels and 37x12.50 SSRs. with 6" springs and zeros.

5. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

back to a burb, looking at a 89 tomorrow.
    i'm wanting 6" springs, 1" body and 1" zero's
    clearing some baja belteds or cepeks

6. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its things like that that help you get a good deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Seriously, if you know the full extent of the problems (and sometimes how easy it is to fix!) before you get to talkin' turkey - you can ham up the shortcomings, and get a better deal /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

All windows not working is probably a fuse. Slim chance all 4 motors are dead. The tailgate, door locks, and dome light did not work on my Burb when I got it. PO said it had a minor electrical problem he couldn't track down. It was a fuse /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

A straight hood and an unmolested dash bezel might set you back a whopping $100 at a bone yard. What's a CD player go for these days?

7. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I might just keep it in the back of my mind and keep an eye on it. I know it is probably a wiring problem since the battery was drained. the dash is more then a bezel, they hacked the crap out of it for an 7 x 7 square and tried to fill it in with plumbers tape,LOL.

I have that 89 to look at tomorrow so we'll see.

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Bummer about the one you loved..............lol.

But are you buying the truck trader every Thursday? I'd stick with buying from a private buyer, better price and not an auction reject. I looked at two dealership Burbs that were roaches - asked them where they got them - 'from the auction, best place to find a rig'. Right.

I saw a number of nice privately owned Burb's when I was searching. The only problem with private sellers are the time you need to invest in looking at them, and since you live down in UO land most of the good stuff is up around here. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Since I had a particular year/model/option list in mind, I only found a total of two in two months. Sounds like your window isn't as narrow as mine was. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

Yeah I get the trader every week, my work has a display of them.
    I have found a bunch in there all north valley like you said, the best one I saw was an 88 3/4 ton already with a 6" for $4,000 in oregon city.
    The one here was marked at $4,400 on sale for the $1995 though only worth about a grand.

All I want is a good looking 81 and up burb with 3/4 ton running gear(weither I do a swap or not) and having fuel injection is only an added bonus. (not hard to do a swap..again)

-Jeremy
    soon to be a "/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif"

10. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Just for reference, I paid $3400 CDN for my '84. Its only 2wd, diesel, tranny and injection pump replaced within the last year. 267,000km.

I passed up an '86 K20 for $1500 CDN. Also diesel, rustier than sin, 370,000km.

Passed up another '86 K20 for $5900 CDN. Also diesel, bare bones model, 250,000km. Was out of my price range. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I spent a few months looking for a 3/4 Burb to be a tow rig and driver and I ended up finding a '92 dually 4x4 with the drivetrain that I wanted right in my price range. So I bought it. Having a burb would have been cool though.