Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

waste oil stove

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by big_truxx, Jan 4, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

what are the pros/cons of a waste oil stove deal?

2. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

off the scale emissions of all the nasty stuff that kills you quickly...

they burn used oil in ships,,,, we dont see the pollution that makes... but it comes back to us in polluted rain...

I looked at one for the shop until common sense prevailed.... of course the stove salesman said there was no data on my fears... yea right...

cam

3. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

the marina we work in uses em... our building is natural gas, but the marinas shop runs those..

hmm, what i've noticed about em:thinking: gotta keep the waste relatively clean. anything else gets in there, meaning antifreeze, water, etc, and the filters get loaded up, when they already get a workout as it is...

the cheap units suck. not worth the hassle.. always problems and they smell.. the newer units they use are pretty nice, that actually burn a sprayed mist of fuel as opposed to the cheapies which just burn a trayful of waste..

wouldn't know about the emmisions, but i'll tell you this. as a subcontractor in the yard who needs to dispose of probably 1000 gallons of waste oil a year, we're grateful they have it. we used to have to pay a company to come take it, now we get rid of it for free...

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

see thats what i was thinking. get rid of a lot of waste oil and do something useful with it at the same time. nly prob is my house will be over the garage :frown1:

5. ryoken

hehe, thats my house.. 2 bedroom over a 2 1/2 car garage... only time it sucks is if i paint down there. even tho i exhaust everything thru filters, it does tend to stink for awhile upstairs. usually meaning bail out to the bar for awhile and leave the windows open. and when i forget to shutoff the screaming banshee of a compressor and it cycles in the middle of the night.. :doah:

not sure about one in a house. if your serious, just check into it. the new fancy units they got wheren't cheap. may have been upwards of 3, 4 grand.. i'm sure you can find out detailed info on if one will work for you.. i would consider it if it was safe and i had alot of waste oil. the amount i get at home is minimal and would run out quickly.. i'd be snagging it from work or having buds drop it off.. :haha:

6. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

yeah thats the other thing. i doubt id have enough to supply me for the whole winter. i will start off with a wood setup i know. since they dont need elec and all. i dont actually have the house built yet.... prolly in the summer/fall but i will be building it to expand. when its done (at least for the main part) it will be a 4 door garage with a house above. and storage/wood sheds on ewither end of it. i really need to get a web page up so i can just link to that and not type so much over and over. lol its also much easier to see something in a pic instead of trying to interpret someones description. i like all kinds of alternative ideas though. like the corn/pellet stove deal. sounds cool but i dont have a big corn field to get the cron to dry to feed the stove either. :haha: yet... someday yes but everything takes time and time is money and i have none of that so i cant afford time :haha:

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

been researching this...here's a neat link for ya:

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_motherearth/me4.html

Personally though, I think I'm going to go with a wood burning stove with one of the northern tools kits, and then add an oil drip system to that...It would be nice being able to burn shop rags, oil, wood, filters, pallets, ect and heat at the same time. I have a propane mr. heater but it went kaput and propane is just too much $$$$$ anyways!

wood barrel kit:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=6970&productId=20894&R=20894

8. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

My house is heated by propane.
    :crazy:

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

So is my folks...and to tell you the truth, I'd probably have propane over elec in my house from a reliability standpoint. However I bought an all electric house, so this is what I've got to work with.

I was kinda talking about shop heat though....

10. ryoken

boy i had electric baseboard in a mobile home that i rented once and it cost a fortune to heat that place. think my bills where like 250 a month in winter back in like 1980.. :shocked: