Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Wasting water and a random question for Diesel4me

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by thezentree, Dec 13, 2005.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

So as I was staring at the running faucet in my bathroom waiting for the hot water to actually be hot, I started thinking about all the times I was told as a child to not waste water because it's bad for the environment. I used to blindly believe that, but then I started thinking:

Back in middle school we learned about the water cycle, how it's in liquid form in bodies of water and how it evaporates and turns into clouds and then into rain and then into lakes and ponds and oceans. K, well, we get our water supply from either A) large bodies of water, B) rainfall, or C), water treatment plants, and water from treatment plants come from A or B originally.

So how do water treatment plants get water? From sewer lines, etc. Well, the water I run from the faucet into the drain goes into the sewer (or in my case, a septic tank, where it's absorbed back into the soil and eventually drains back into the waterway/ocean).

SO all that water I just "wasted" really just went back into the water cycle and is going to be reused eventually. It's not like the drain magically disappears water. So what's the big fockin deal with waiting on hot water to come outta the tap when my bathroom is cold to begin with? I think it's one big conspiracy put together by cheap parents to cut down on the water bill. I'M NOT FALLING FOR YOUR DIRTY LIES!!!!!

Oh and Diesel4me, on average, how long does it take you to type a response? :rotfl: :whistle:

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

It depends!...

Well,my usual page long posts only take 5 minutes or so..longer rants,or ones involving my sorted affairs of my misguided youth take about 10 minutes..:crazy:

Be thankful I can type only by using the "hunt and peck" one finger method..:wink1: ...

And yeah,don't listen to your parents about "wasting water"...its MONEY they are worried about wasting really--they could give a rats ass about water..if it was heated for free and wasn't metered,they wouldn't say anything about "wasting" it!..I learned long ago if your parents squawk about "wasting" something,its always MONEY and not the thing your "wasting" they are PO'd about!..:crazy:

3. thezentree

Hahaha, except for food, because they genuinely want you to send your table scraps to starving children in Ethiopia.

4. diesel4me

nope--food too!

No,food == MONEY,so they get angry if you "waste" it by not eating it!...food costs MONEY!..:crazy:

(case in point--do they mention the starving kids in other countries when you were sent to bed without supper for being bad??)..its ok if THEY waste the food.!...

The ethiopians were just used as pawns to gain sympathy for their cause..:rolleyes: ..besides,even if you sent your food scraps there by air mail,they would be inedible by the time they arrived!..parents never think of that,do they..:wink1: ..they'ed be WASTING FOOD!..:haha:

Did your parents tell you when you were little the "chicken will CRY if you don't eat your Eggie??"..mine did..:p: ..I've yet to see a chicken cry!..:rolleyes: --its the price of eggs THEY were crying about!..:haha:

It all comes down to the six letter root of all evil that rules the world..
    M-O-N-E-Y-..

Don't waste it..it'll p*** off your parents..:crazy:

5. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Let's see

M..... one

O.... two

You see where I'm going with this right?

J/K! :D

6. diesel4me

F'n glasses!!

:doah: :doah: ..I hate it when that happens!!..:crazy:

I blame lack of food!--haven't even had supper yet,and its 2 AM..:eek1: ...:screwy:

7. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I do that at work all the time "I need six of those" *holds up four fingers*

8. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

That was good

9. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Its also considered a waste because all the water that is being drained away has to be replenished with new water that has to go through the treatment process. EG. adding of chorline, adding of flouride, purification tests, etc.

So in a sense you are "wasting" water.

10. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Not if you have well water.

11. mudnmyvayne

mudnmyvayne 1/2 ton status

Thats my Que:D Im a water well driller/pumpsetter,I see what happens to the water level of our aquifers daily.Yes,the water will replace itsself, only if it has the time to. Not just a day or two,but thousands of years.
    Imagine a giant bath tub...If all the water is drained from the tub,before it has time to refill......you have to let it refill before you get any use from it.

In my area we pump a couple of thousand gallons of water/min. per. half mile of land.With what once was thought to be a constant water supply(50-60 yrs ago) has been dropping off for the past 20 yrs.

Back the tub---if it was as big as, say 10 states...& water dropped as much as 20'/year in places....the tub will run dry. Be warned.

Yes,in my eyes you are wasting water. and money:D

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I "heard" the US is running out of fresh water and they will still the canadians one day.

13. gauder

gauder Banned

Yup, they want our fresh water. Check out the politics, it's one of the issues during the new election.

14. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Notice how the ice caps are dissapearing? Not from global warming like we want you to think......

15. thezentree

What the hell took YOU so long to butt in? :rotfl:

16. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

I was busy watching other threads go down the drain.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

:haha::haha: water - drain
    k20 you crack me up:haha: