Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Watch out for Ebay scams

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Nov 16, 2003.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I was going through an emailbox I haven't checked in a week, and I found this:

[ QUOTE ]
    We regret to inform you that your eBay account could be suspended if you don't resolve your problems. To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve the problems. If your problems could not be resolved your account will be suspended for a period of 3-4 days, after that it will be operational again.

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us.

Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

Please note that this suspension does not relieve you of your
    agreed-upon obligation to pay any fees you may owe to ebay.

Regards,

Safeharbor Department
    eBay, Inc.

--
    eBay

[/ QUOTE ]

It was complimented with a very official/professional form to fill out and hit submit, which would send in all my ebay account info, including my password.

I just heard about this recently, I can't remember where, if on CK5 or a tech news website or what, but the scam is that they send you an email asking for this info, you're supposed to fill it out, they sell a high ticket item under your account, and when the buyer sends them the money, they disappear, and you're tagged as the seller.

One might think if these dipsh*ts are going to work so hard to create such a deceptive and thorough scam, they could at least get thier grammar right. Heck, I was almost fooled, I almost thought a billion dollar company like ebay would send out an email with a sentence like "To resolve this problems please click here and login into your account in order to resolve the problems." If that don't scream non-natively english speaking dipstick, my name is Fred Ebay (note: MY grammar misuse is intentional there!).

It delivers the form info to this email address: 3Dbande_rica@yahoo.com or bande_rica@yahoo.com. Spam this f**cker if you can...

Don't get scammed if you see one of these social engineering hacks. 99% of the services that require a password will not ask you to enter that password through email...

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Did you contact yahoo to tell them that that user is scamming using an account from them?

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

No, but I forwarded the scam message to spoof@ebay,com. I'll send it to Yahoo right now, thanks for the tip.

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

No $hit? I am still waiting for my 14 million from the enegery director of Africa!!!!

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I just heard about this recently, I can't remember where, if on CK5 or a tech news website or what

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted a link to a news story about this exact thing about a month ago. Glad to hear that you didn't get sucked in by this one, Ratch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif