Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Watch out Southeast region....Big Pappa is moving in

Discussion in 'Southeast Region' started by big pappa b, Jul 14, 2004.

1. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

I just found out that the Air Force will be moving me to Asheville, NC in late Dec/Jan.

2. clarkjw24

clarkjw24 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Welcome to the south. Yee haw

3. big pappa b

Guess I'm gonna hafta buy me one of them thare gee-tars or a banjo maybe

4. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

sounds cool /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

5. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

and right by tellico /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. big pappa b

Yep /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    That was one of the contributing things that made me pick Asheville..that and we just love the woods and outdoors

7. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Cool Paint Job. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif Look us all up when you get in and you will have to join us for the clubs annual run if I aint in Canada.

8. CaveBlazin

CaveBlazin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Uhh ohh here come the airmen J/k /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif How do you like those new uniforms yall are going to? Tiger stripe I think with 8 point hats(covers)

9. big pappa b

We still have the old BDU's. The proposed enw ones wont actually make it out for a while. Besides, my job that I will be working there is civilian clothes only...BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA..dress casual /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif
    I wont have to wear a uniform for the next 4 years

10. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I just found out that the Air Force will be moving me to Asheville, NC in late Dec/Jan.

[/ QUOTE ]

there goes the neighborhood /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

no, welcome to the big NC /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

What's your AFSC?!?!?!?!?!
    I need to cross-train......... no airplanes = no job for me... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif I'd kill to be in the Smokey Mountain region. instead, as a C-17 Crew Chief, the closest I'll get to the mountains anytime soon is Bahgrahm or Kandahar... maybe i can talk the loadmaster into letting me stuff the Blazer on the C-17... park it right next to those pallets of 37" hummer beadlock wheel and tire assemblies we'll be haulin' out there... (I might need spares) /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif

12. big pappa b

I'm a weather forecaster. No job for you where i'm going tho. It's only a weather job working in a federal building...no uniforms /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Asheville is an interesting town. There are a lot of hippies in asheville that smell bad though. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Im just curious, what where the different cities you could pick?
    -Harrison

14. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

I don't know about the weather career field but in aircraft maintenance you don't necessarily "pick". You do get a wish list where you fill out desired locations, but the Air Force puts you where it needs you based on your Air Force Specialty Code (AFSC -aka- career field or job including skill level and experiance). They'll attempt to accomodate your wish list where possible but the Air Force's needs come first.

15. big pappa b

The Air Force has a program called Base of Preference. As long as you have been stationed at 1 place at least 36 months you can pick basically any place where they have your job. Then at 42 months you can leave for that new job. For us (weather), Asheville is a choice assignment because there is no base to hassle you, we get to wear regular clothes (no uniforms), Mon-Fri 0730-1630..weekends and holidays off and we dont have to worry about being deployed the Iraq or somewehre while we are there. PLus the area is beautiful and it's close to prime wheeling country /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

If they did not give me that job I was heading back to Illinois to Scott Air Force base because they are short manned in my rank, Tech Sgt-E6. That job would have sucked to high hell. Rotating shift work, 12hr shifts, people I have already had issues with and I would be supervising about 10 people (kids) /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif...NO THANKS /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif

16. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Man don't get me started.....
    We laugh at that base preferance thing in acft maintenance. There is a line at the end of that regulation that says something like, "depending on mission requirements" or "at squadron commader's approval". So that pretty much nixes any chance of a "preferred assignment". Maintenance has been a critical career field since I came in '95. Don't get me wrong though, some people do get choice assignments; its just very rare.
    As for shifts.... Charleston AFB has been on 12s since 9/11, and its taking its toll. We had a guy (TSgt) killed on the flightline last week (crushed in the flight controls). He was 2 days away from PCSing and wasn't even supposed to be at work that night. Not saying 12 hr shifts are to blame, but I wouldn't rule it out as a contributor.
    On a lighter note, I do want to end by saying I do love my job and would not trade it for any other in the AF (except for maybe flying the planes that I work on). I was just being invious of your new assignment. I've always wanted to live in the Southern Appilacian Mts.

17. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

Welcome to da south. Now say Y'all. The plural of y'all is "all y'all"

And in the immortal words of Lewis Grizzard- guys in the south can do something that is done no where else. We can git "half drunk" as in "yeah, we waz fishin and about half drunk when........"

And remember when folks start tellin us how much better they did it up north or out west.....Delta is ready whenever they are.

Pop is not a soft drink in the south, Coke is a soft drink. Pop is a verb, as in "I'll POP you upside the head with this Coca-cola bottle"

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

18. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Pop is not a soft drink in the south, Coke is a soft drink. Pop is a verb, as in "I'll POP you upside the head with this Coca-cola bottle"

[/ QUOTE ]

pronounced "co-cola" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

19. justwhatido

justwhatido 1/2 ton status

It'll help if you know the difference between "naked" and "neckid"

Naked means you aint got no clothes on.

Neckid means you aint got no clothes on, and you're up to sumpin.

Welcome to da south.

/forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

Fred

20. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    pronounced "co-cola" /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Exactly what I was thinking when I read that. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    BTW- BigPapa- When you move to nc, you get the privelege of drinking the worlds best soft drink.....Cheerwine /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    -Harrison