Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Watching paint dry...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CyberSniper, Oct 1, 2005.

1. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Anyone ever notice how slow oil-based paint dries? I can leave my paint brush out for two hours and the paint can open and go back and do a second coat. It'll even dry slow in sunlight. Not like latex that almost dries on the brush before you even get it to the surface when sunlight is on it.

I wonder if kids huff the stuff. I like it because it smooths out so nice and is very durable. It doesn't look cheap like latex paint. It doesn't flake off like latex does. It usually takes the wood with it. I wonder why we live in a latex world nowadays.

I'm pretty bored, as you might guess. I painted two doorframes and two windows and am waiting to start the second coat.

I was looking through my benefits of my new job today while I watch the paint dry. They'll actually pay for $150/yearly for a fitness club membership. I wonder how many people even know about it. Too bad I'm too lazy to consume an hour every day at dagym. It'd work out to less than $10/month to go to the gym. If you were to take showers at the gym instead of at home it'd actually pay to have a membership. Yes, I'm that much of a cheap bastard where I even calculated that out. 9 days of paid holidays, 1 paid personal day, and 24 days of paid vacation. That's crazy. GM employees don't get it that good until they have 20 years in. The medical benefits are almost as good as GM's also. Well, the PPO thing kind of sucks but oh well. A little bit lacking in the dental and you have to pay for optical... which unless you're blind it's cheaper to pay out of pocket than it is to pay for optical (well, you're getting an improvement on a bunch of other stuff also but since I don't have any prescriptions and haven't done anything but get shots in 10 years... optical is what caught my eye since I wear contacts). The weird part is that I don't start putting in retirement for two years... they put in 10.55% and will match up to 2%... with a maximum of 14.55% but there is no age at which you're required or limited to retire. It hasn't started yet but I'm supposed to get my interweb at home paid for by them and a cellular phone paid for by them.

2. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

Oh Lord...

3. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

wow, funny how when you stop and start thinking what rambles off the brain, if watching paint dry spurred all of this thought, you should drive with out a radio, :eek1:

I had the radio off for about a month in my heep do to a lack of interest in fixing it, during that month I drove myself nutty cause I drive so much and I started thinking about things, kind of nice to stop and think sometimes though :crazy:

4. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

(Highjack) Super... don't suppose you ever re-sent that MO? (Highjack)

5. CyberSniper

Yeap, my mind tends to wander a lot when I'm doing menial things. When I go to sleep I usually think about something really boring, think about it all night, and think about what I thought about at night in the morning. It's rare that I actually dream.

Unless it's really tedious driving I'm pretty alert. I won't talk on a cell phone or fool with anything while driving for the most part. I'm convinced if more people were more serious about driving there'd be fewer accidents. I've been driving for 8 years and a couple hundred thousand miles... not a single accident as of yet.

I usually keep the stereo on to keep some background noise. It not only overpowers the neigbhor's bitching at each other but it gives me a break from thinking when a good song comes on. Earlier I was calculating how much concrete I'd need to pour some sculptured walkways out front and a pad out back. That's a lot of fun without a calculator.

6. Grieby54

Grieby54 1/2 ton status

:crazy:

7. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

after reading your second post i have to say. i wish i had time to daydream. :laugh:

8. CyberSniper

Well, I don't just sit there and do nothing. Usually doing something so mindless that I can think about other things. I don't know about you but I can pretty much do all my house cleaning, dishes, laundry, mow the lawn, drive, eat, et cetera without a lot of thought put forth. Hell, even shopping is pretty goddamned menial. About the only thing that isn't menial is human interaction whether it be here on a forum, in person, or while at work talking to people (computer support).