Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water circulation problem.....help please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by twenty_below0, Nov 30, 2001.

1. twenty_below0

twenty_below0 1/2 ton status

Been gone for awhile and just got back.....my K5 is getting hot on one side of the radiator, passenger side and the other side is cold.........is the thermastat sticking...or water pump going out....there's know sign of leaks. THX Mike

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Is it over heating on the gage?

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It almost sounds like your rad is plugged. I don't know about Alaska, but down here in Alberta we have really hard water. If you've been naughty[​IMG] and have been using tap water instead of distilled water to top up your coolant level, there's a real good chance that you have hard water deposits clogging your rad. You might have to take the rad to shop and get them to clean it out.

Another thing to consider is that now that it's winter, your rad is cooling TOO well......My work truck does the same thing as yours in the winter due to the heavy duty rad that's installed in it. A good winter front helps out a bit, but my truck runs cold because it needs the extra cooling for all the towing I do in the summer.......

How are your operating temps? Do you get heat in the cab?

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. twenty_below0

Radiator is almost new so I'm fairly positive it's not plugged, it doesn't get very warm air out of the heater, have the radiator cover with card board, and a 195 thermastat, still not very warm,the temp is -10 below 0 and there's plenty of Anti freeze........ THX

5. twenty_below0

Yes it's getting hot, to the point where it get's hard to turn over, when this happened I let it sit before I drove it home...(about 2 miles) then it was getting hot again just not as bad! The heater has sucked for a while and the lines are ran correct as well as insulated,( for the winter since there braided stainless and they loose alot of heat)Radiator is blocked with cardboard and is only a 3 core I believe, maybe 2.............What to do, it also has the higher output motor, or fan on the motor any suggestions?and removing the cardboard didn't help, THX Mike

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I'd change out the thermostat and see if that helps......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>