Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water coming through my passinger side firewall..

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JohnnyFresno, Oct 16, 2002.

1. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Well I replaced my heater hose a week ago or so and since then I have noticed water leaking underneath the passenger side.. Also my carpet is wet like a mofo and up in the firewall?? area it is soaked as well.. what the [censored] is wrong here? and how can I fix it ,, thanks.

2. MJF

MJF 1/2 ton status

You probably damaged your heater core.

3. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

The heater core is probably leaking. kinda a PITA to change but not that bad.

4. JohnnyFresno

JohnnyFresno 1/2 ton status

Thanks for quick response I thought it was that at first but wasnt sure.. I will try replacing it asap..

Thanks

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Hehehe Well if it's rain water it's a leak in the cowel box. Open the hood and look at the fire wall. You will see a seam running the width of the truck and it goes under the AC/blower box. The water coming in from the vents at the base of the windsheild will leak through the seam into the A/C/Blowe box and get into the inside box from there.
    Skigirl had a heck of a time tracing this problem down and that's what she found. I'm not sure what she used to seal the seam but I'm sure she will see this post and fill you in.

6. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Just be glad you're the driver.

/forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Replace the heater core.
    If it'll be awhile before you can do that and you need to drive the truck now, you can easily bypass the heater core. Instead of running one line to the core and one line back from the core, just hook one line from the water pump back to itself. Pretty cheap too.
    -- Mike

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Grim could be right, make sure it's not rain water first, and then if it is te heater, try the radiator sealers first, it worked with mine, and saved me the hastle of changing it /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
    It's only a couple of bucks and then if it doesn't work, you will change it.

8. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Yea, that was a pain. Wouldn't have found it without Grimmy's help either. I sealed the cowl with a silicone sealer that remained fexible and was waterproof, found at home depot. But I think there's probably better stuff out there at auto shops. At some point I'll go over it again, just to be anal. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif