Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water comming out of exhaust pipes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by suthrnchvyguy89, Mar 12, 2005.

1. suthrnchvyguy89

suthrnchvyguy89 Registered Member

what exactly does this mean? i heard before its a sign that your engine is beginning to die, but i havent had any major problems lately. right now i have a stock tbi 350 with long tube headers and a true dual flowmaster exhaust with no cats and about 132,000 miles on it.

it looks like a pretty good amount is coming out though, but for some reason about 90% of it is only coming out of the left pipe.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its just condensation. Its winter, your exhaust suddenly gets hot, cold + sudden hot = water. Brand new cars down to a 500K mile junker do it. Only thing it does is if it builds up in a muffler it can rot it out from the inside.

3. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

Like he said, its only condensation.

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Plus the fact that water is a prodcut of combustion.

Hydrocarbon fuel + O2 ---> H20 +CO2 (in a perfect world) but of course this is not a perfect world and we get many other harmful chemicals out of it too)

5. suthrnchvyguy89

o alright thats good, i thought that i was bc of some big important gasket or seal was rotting away letting water get where it shouldn't be or sumthin like that. i guess i should pay more attention in science lol

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

simple science class stuff has a lot of place in automotive and fabrication stuff ;) I'm amazed how often I can apply something I learned in school to different things involved with a car. Now mind you 90% of what I learned in High School was bull :D

7. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Just check your oil and make sure there is no water in it. If there is, THEN you have a problem

8. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Someone correct me if i'm wrong...but i believe you get about a gallon of water for every gallon of gas burnt.

9. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Correction: That is beer yer thinking of!:grin:

10. suthrnchvyguy89

i went through a mud hole the other day and i heard the pipes gurgle and my friend that was watching said they went under but i almost had the peddle to the floor and i got in and out pretty quick so i sure hope that isnt it. the engine seems to be running fine though. so i guess its just condensation, the only reason i asked was bc it just seemed like an amount more than normal was comming out, but i mighta just noticed while i was walking around it waiting on the radiator to finish getting flushed.

11. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

My dad used to have a chevy van with the older body style with a 383 and dual exhaust... he used to submerge his pipes all the time at the boat ramp and never had any problems... althought it was on an incline.

Still i don't think water has a chance to get all the way to the muffler or even get up the pipes with a motor running. notice the big bend on your tail pipe to clear the axle... the water would have to get up that and you would have to be real deep with a stalled motor for that to happen. I think the motor's exhaust blows the water out before it can get any where. Always wondered tho.

12. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

You sure that gurgle wasnt yer pipe sunder water?

13. suthrnchvyguy89

no im sure that was my pipes under water but since i had the throttle down alot and they were under for less than a second im almost 100% sure nothing got in.

14. Fierospeeder

Fierospeeder Banned

dont worry about it. Its like passing gas in the bathtub. Theres no harm :laugh:

15. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Except for that awful smell of moisture impregnated fart!

16. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

water cannot get into the engine from the tailpipe while the truck is running. or at least its really really hard.u can be sitting with them submerged for as long as you want, even idling, wont overcome the pressure of the exhaust.

when he said check your oil, its causs you could be getting fluid from the cooling system into your oil.this would happen from a leaking head gasket of crack/hole in the block somewhere. the only other way to get water in your oil is to submerge the entire engine, and suck water in thru the carb/throttlebody.

17. dirtwarrior17

dirtwarrior17 Banned

don't forget a bad water port seal on the intake gasket/s....

18. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

ah, you guys should come play on the boats... ;)

water reversion thru exhaust is a HUGE issue.. alot of the newer fuelies have cam profiles conducive with sucking water into the cylinders...
    most of it depends on the boat brands exhaust configuration tho...

19. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

really? ive never heard of that. you'd think since the exhaust in underwater they'd make a better cam profile/exhaust. guess you learn something new everyday:grin:

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

well, it was never an issue with carbed applications.. only with the absolute poorest of exhaust designs...

but it has become a serious issue in recent yrs with the injected boats... obviously some boat designs worse than others...

i have a customers 27 Sea Ray with twin fuelie SB I.O's that i need to repower soon.. the boat is 3 yrs old.. it has the "Captains Choice" exhaust where you hit a switch and electro magnetic switched flappers change the exhaust from thru-drive underwater exhaust to above water direct exhaust...

been sucking water up since it came from the factory... you can tell, its just a bad design.. i just started working on it last summer and it was the first thing i told the guy.. horribly maintained boat.. big green chunks in the cap, etc.. pulled the plugs, found rust.. investigate further and pull the manifold, 3,5,4 and 6 all had been sucking water back for quite some time.....

i believe it has to do with too much overlap in the profile on the fuelies iirc.. they run good, but exhaust design becomes critical...

different gasser manufacturers run different style exhaust manifolds too.. Merc vs Crusader, center-rise vs log, etc... exhaust manifolds are extremely critical on a saltwater boat.. its the first question i ask when one of my customers buys a new to them used gas boat. whats the exhaust history? when did it last get elbows and risers?....

ah, the boat industry is 20 yrs behind the times usually.. ;)