Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water fording w/ no snokel??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by oneofthefewbmx, Apr 29, 2006.

1. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

hey guys...im kinda curious as to fording water w/ no snorkel...what are the do's and dont's ....i mean dont turn it off if the exhaust is under water...if it dies dont try and start it....what else....also, how much water being sucked in to the carb is enough to kill the motor and cause catastrophic damage? me and my frined are just kinda discussing this...thanks

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

Went out wheeling today w/ my buddy and his 04 rubicon (10,000 miles) and we definately found out what not to do

1) Do not try to cross multiple holes knocked into the earth by Bradley fighting vehicles

2) Once you are in too deep do not lay into the throttle in hopes of making the next hole

3) Once you have determined the #1 connecting rod sticking through the pan is the reason oil is pouring all over the place hope you have a good battery to winch yourself out with

thats all I learned this afternoon

3. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

in deep water slow is best,travel down stream if possible,can always back threw the water,a blanket over the front blocking the gill with it hanging down 1ft or so below the bumper will help keep a air pocket in the engine compartment,electric fans that you can turn off help keep water from being thrown onto the engine,no open element filters,run the stock one assembly with the air duct turned towards the firewall.MORE LIFT!!!!! and bigger tires always help

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Many people drown the engine because they hit deep water too fast, and push the water up into whatever intake ducting there is. Unless you are sitting idling, almost impossible to ford to the height of an air inlet facing forward. The slower you go, the less the water "climbs" the core support.

In other words, there is very rarely a situation when fording that "a little" water gets into the intake. An engine can ingest a bit of water (rain etc) without problem, but fording rarely throws up a fine spray of water. :)

The above post pretty much covers it. :)

5. oneofthefewbmx

oneofthefewbmx 1/2 ton status

cool...thanks alot guys...i still kinda curious as to what else needs to be waterproofed if i slap on a snorkel one day...distrubutor, plugs, blah blah ect...

6. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

caulk everything electrically connected, and seal all intake seams, that and a good pair of rubber shorts as long as your getting in that deep.

7. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah, killed my engine twice because I hit water too fast. I hit a 3 1/2ft deep water hole going 30 - 35. :crazy: I learned real quick not to do that.

8. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

asdf

how would you make a disturbutor waterproof??

9. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

def slow and easy.... also personally if this is a first time.... get hip waiters and walk it out... noting gay about plotting your paths... expecially if it keeps it cheap for ya by saving your motor....

I have a snorkel but it isnt waterproof.... more for the OH CRAP THROW IT IN REVERSE!!!!!

around the distributor water can get into the engine so there is one place to make milky oil...:crazy:

10. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

oh yeah... fans rotating + water = hole'ey radiator

11. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

He's correct on this one since the fan blades were designed to move air which is obviously much less dense then water. The water creates huge loads on the blades and bend them into the radiator...as you can imagine, this is bad. :doah: