Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water in distributor?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txfireman, Feb 23, 2002.

1. txfireman

txfireman Registered Member

I took my blazer out last night for the first time and was fairly dissapointed when it began to run crappy and die. i think it is from the four foot deep water/mud. can you help on how to keep water out of distributor and off of plugs?
    Thanks in advance

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Not sure how to keep water out of the dist cap but I have used silicone grease as a sealer for the spark plug boots. I guess a coat of that around the base of the cap would work well too. Not too much water here in SO AZ. Welcome to CK5 by the way!

That jeep thing? Yah I understand it....... Like my Blazer? <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5>http://community.webshots.com/user/blazerk5</a>
    Jim

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

i have heard that you can use aresol hairspray in the spark plug boots to get a good seal. never tried it though. sounds like you were hitting that deep water pretty hard and fast. try easing into it first and then get on it as that will push the water away from your truck and not into it! By the way where in texas are you from?
    Justin

Austin, Texas K5'er

4. 502Burban

502Burban 1/2 ton status

Use dielectric grease (you can get it at NAPA or PepGirls) in the boots at both ends of the plug wires, and spray the inside of your distributor cap with good ol' WD-40. That should take care of most of the problems.

You can also get o-ring distributor caps, but they tend to bring problems of their own. Humidity in the cap will not be able to get out, and will eventually cause cross-firing in the cap.

Robb
    <a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/robbrj>'73 GMC Suburban - 502DFI</a>

5. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

WD 40= Water Displacement Formula 40. Drying out ignitions is what it was designed for. Just clever marketing for the rest because it's not a good rust eater for bolts. it will work but PB Blaster is MUCH better for bolts.
    WD 40 isGood stuff. Heck I spray new caps with it before I install them.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper