Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water in gas question,do you think...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Oct 6, 2006.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

it's still my prob? JR sat for a month with and empty tank when the weather started to cool off at night. it ran great before i let it sit.:doah: when i went to drive it ,i could barly do 15 mph.i put in 6 or so gallons thinking condensation but it still ran crappy. so i crippled it home threw in half a pint (all i had) of dry gas and then added about 8 gallons more.the next day i drove it and could get to 40 mph and then still bogging unless i let off the pedal and hit it again real fast then it would lurch and bog again.so like a dope i added more gas let it sit ,next day the same thing.so out comes the starting fluid to check for vacume leaks. there are none,the the fuel filter still idles rough and can't even spin the tire. and it idles low. if i mist the carb with starting fluid it perks up and if i pour a little gas in the carb while its running it idles up and smoothes out.soooo what do you think ****ty gas????thanks :D

2. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Did you check the fuel filter under the truck?

3. boggerless

nope!where the hell is that filter?? on the pass side?i've never seen one on this truck and the body and everything is new. but i'm sure i just wasn't looking.:rolleyes:

4. boggerless

what i mean by new is i changed it.i've been under it 1000 times and never seen one.

5. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You might need to rebuild your carb.

6. boggerless

after messin with it today i think you may be right. i have 2 more q jets to try on it. OR maybe this is the perfect excuse to buy a new carb!!!:bow: :bow: :D

7. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

definetly look inside the framerail for another fuel filter though...

8. yoshisv

yoshisv 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it may be the fuel filter to me.

9. nutsthename

nutsthename 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Mine is on the inside of the passenger side rail. Yours may not have one, not sure if the carb models had them. You can also try gas treatment if you think it may be water. probably wouldn't hurt anyway, it's only a couple of bucks.

10. boggerless

i looked and there is nothing. unless that little junction aboot the size of a pinky finger nail is it?:haha: if that has lasted the last 18 years i'm impressed.seriosly there is nothing but rubber and steel line there.from the tank to the fuel pump. maybe 104 octane boost to help it run better till i run the **** out??

11. boggerless

i might try that one more time. i wish i didn't fill it up so much though so i could siphen it faster and just use it in MR. lawn mower.:D

12. boggerless

oh and don't sell you truck bro just let it sit if you have to. everytime i see that rig i remember the years it took me to finnish mine. i have pics that look just like yours,i was broke and just had a baby. but i did what i could and now its pretty much done.:waytogo: even if you leave it at your parents house.my dad has at least 10 trucks that belong to someone in his yard.:bow: :bow: :D

13. boggerless

the only one left is in the tank and all that is new.sending unit and all.but ya never know??

14. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

Thanks man... I dont think im gonna let it go... As for leaving it at my dads house... thats not gonna happen...lol he wants it gone already. He puts up with it though cause he knows that when im spending time on it im not out on drugs or doin shhit i shouldnt be

15. fatbob

fatbob 1/2 ton status

Take the fuel line off the carb. stick a hose on it, and pump and oz or so in a glass jar. Let it sit awhile, and you'll be able to see if it separates, or it's good.
    You could still have some water in the carb bowl, so try the mexican tuneup.
    Start the truck up, and rev it up. While your holding the throttle open, block off the air flow with a rag untill it dies. try it a couple times. This will help provide a little extra suction to help pull the crap out of the carb.
    Then add a fuel filter to help keep the crap otta the carb.:D

16. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Possibbly a bad fuel pump or a really weak one. I had a truck with an electric fuel pump that acted like that. It was just a really cheap pump replaced it with a better one and it was just fine

17. boggerless

i was thinking fuel pump right after i found the smell of gas in the oil.this will be the second AUTO ZONE pump in 1 year if thats the case.the first one filled the oil pan with gas.:mad: the truck never holds a prime of gas, could that be because of the pump or the carb dumping?if it ran that morning it starts that evening with the turn of the key but the next day i either have to let it crank for over a minute or pump it.:thinking:

18. DirtyJim

DirtyJim 1/2 ton status

fuel filter

same thing happend to me when i dropped my tank to fix the floor. this was the problem.

19. boggerless

i have no floor in the bed(thats what i'm doing right now) so it's easy to see and there is nothing from the tank to the fuel pump. what does it look like maybe i missed it??and a general location would be most helpfull ..:laugh: thanks daryl

20. boggerless

i'm trying the glass bowl trick right know. mexican tune up.:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: dammmmm thats funny!!!