Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water in Tank draining question.

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by Parf, Dec 26, 2001.

1. Parf

Parf Registered Member

Can any one help me figure out how to drain the water out of the tank of my '84 6.2L? I was just out crawling around under it, but didn't see any sort of valve....any hints? Where exactly should I look? And what else am I going to need to drain the water out? The dash light is coming on intermittantly when I drive over rough pavement.

<font color=blue>Parf</font color=blue>
    '84 GMC Jimmy 6.2 Diesel

2. BlueBlazer

BlueBlazer 1/2 ton status

The valve on mine is near the filler tube just above the pass. rear tire. Ive never used mine though so it may not even work very well, but others that have used it should be able to tell you if it works.

82 K5, 6.2L Diesel, sm465, np205, 14 bolt welded, 8 lug 10 bolt lock right, 410 gears, 35" Mud Kings
    SPEAK SOFTLY AND DRIVE A BIG TRUCK

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

You should have a drain cock built into the fuel line somewhere. It should look like a little ball with a small t-handle and a spout covered with a rubber cap, probably in the rear wheel well like BlueBlazer said.

I've never had to use mine either, but from what I've heard you attach some tubing to the assembly(that leads to a bucket or container), start the engine, open the valve, and bleed the tank almost dry. You should also change out the fuel filter.

There also might be a simple explanation for your problem, like a loose wire or a faulty sender. Generally when the "water in tank" light comes on, it stays on. And if you had a bad problem with water in the system, your truck would run like CRAP!!!

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

What kind of filter does your '84 use: the box style or the spin on? The box style uses the filter drain on the bottom of the filter mount. I'm not sure, but I suspect the fuel line drain was deleted after GM went to the box style filter. I've had CUCVs that had some bad fuel (water) and would kick the light on intermittenly (corners, stopping, etc). Drained the fuel filter a few times and the water &amp; light disappeared. As much as I dislike the box filter (I hate air leaks) it does a good job at seperating the water, the trucks never stumbled.

Real trucks don't have spark plugs!

5. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

If you do have the box-type filter on the firewall pass-side, and havent changed it for a while, I suggest replacing it with a new one. My WIF light was also flickering at acceleration, stops, bumps etc and a new filter made it go away. That was 10 months ago.

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>