Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water in the Air Filter

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Mar 18, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I went romping last night, played in a few puddles, and when I was done, I noticed my engine was a little wet, I opened up my thing and noticed my air filter was a little moist, and there was a little water in the pan.

I am worried I got a little water in the carb possibly? Is that bad? It ran just fine afterwards, but is there a way to prevent this?

2. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Be careful opening your thingy, you can be arrested in some counties for that!

But seriously, pull your dipstick and make sure the oil isn't milky...

Whats the air filter thingy setup? take a pic...

3. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

The part where the air filter goes. The Thingy! :haha:

My oil looks fine. .

4. 85mudbogger

85mudbogger 1/2 ton status

if its running fine theres no water in ur carb, if it had water in it you would know it, i would check ur oil like ryoken said, water in ur oil pan is a killer and if your worried about it just change it, everytime i go play in water i change my oil afterwards, it saved my a** one time when i dove off in a hole and lost my truck and went swimmin almost, it started up afterwards(dont know how) but it deff had water in it and i changed the oil and nothin was hurt, get u an old air cleaner off a school bus or 2 ton of some sort, the air cleaner is completely inclosed and just has holes in the bottom plate, it sucks up instead of in so u have no chance of gettin water in unless u go swimin:haha:

5. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

I have a spare airbox w/snoot.. I think you have just the air filter exposed, right?

You can have it, i have a lid too!
    Send me an email @ afufok5@gmail.com ...just pay for shipping and its yours. I dont have a filter though but they are like 5 bucks.

The air box will need a cleaning before you install it or put in a filter, pickup some brake clean and give it a nice spray&wipe. Let it dry overnight in a dry area.

EDIT- im 99% positive it came off a 76 or 78 3/4 ton K20 pickup with a 400ci engine but it fits my 88 TBI 350.. so it SHOULD fit yours. Anyone else have any comments about this? Its the same as my own airbox its just got a different intake snoot (circle not oval)

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I dont have a picture, but it looks like this. . . .

I think water got in through the opening on the part that comes off the cannister.

Attached Files:

7. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Sorry m8 i aint a member yet cant see attachments try imageshack.us please
    I did however clock in for my first time today.. FINALLY got hired!!! I now serve pancakes on a stick @ sonic! I get my first paycheck in a week so if i have anything left over ill register. If not i will the next one..CK5 is worth it just need the cash.

8. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Here...

[​IMG]

9. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Oh cool same as my 88! You dont need my airbox then =)
    How the bloody hell did you get water in it..then? Does it have a cold air intake hose attached to it? Black plastice tube w/fins on it..

I cant immagine you getting more than a couple drips of water in through that tiny opening unless it was submerged

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

I think it sucked it in the part that stucks out? I have NO idea how water got in it, that is why I am so confused, any ideas on how to stop water from getting in?

11. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Extend the air intake snout i guess... Is there anyway to hook up an extension intake hose and run it somewhere else? I know my 88 came stock with the cold air intake hose running to the front grill. I have the grill attachment part if you need it but i dont have a spare hose.

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmm, I might have to do that, Maybe run it up higher somewhere?

13. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

how bout cut the snout short enough until you can point that at the dist...that way water has to go OVER/behind it...less chance of hydrolock

but a little bit is fine...if its small enough its like a steam cleaner for the carbon in the combustion chambers.

14. K5Greek

K5Greek 1/2 ton status

is that a cad drawing?:haha:

i would just check fluids..if your truck ran afterwards all the water you sucked up, if any, is out by now

15. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

x2 on the turning it around idea.. it may not be best for cold air intake or ease of air intake.. but it should probably work better. Are there any holes in the intake box(i hope not!)?

16. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

No, its pretty solid. I will try turning it around, so facing towards me or what? Right now it is facing my passenger headlight.

17. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I really don't know of a sure fire way of keeping water out for sure unless you snorkel.

But how often do you go driving through water that comes to the roof of the cab??

I have made baffles to keep water out of other things before.... I am not going to say for what application for this is a family site, but it works. It really cuts down the water intake.

Do you have an electric pump for beds or anything?? I had a rig setup before that drew air through the top got filtered by water, and the baffles kept the water from entering the pump....

It worked really well too. there was a clear tube that ran from the output to the user, and I never found any water droplets out of the many times i had used it.

The biggest problem I see with using baffles for the intake on your engine is the fact that baffles mess up your air flow. The air should move in unrestricted, and crap kept out of it's way.

But I geuss if you are going to chop your thingy shorter, and point it towards your distributor, then maybe you could jerry-rig something up before you molest your thingy. That way if the baffle doesn't work, then atleast you know.....

18. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Hmm, I will give it a shot and see what works.

19. AFUFO

AFUFO 1/2 ton status

Oh boy that does sound like a good siggy to me... Can you say J hook? :eek1:
    I cant immagine that would be very "good for her"

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

Too bad i cant have siggys...I call reserve untill i can get membership!! :haha:

20. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner