Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water in the gas tank

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Apr 27, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Anybody got a fancy way of getting a little water out of my tank. A whole bunch leaked in around the old cap and I siphoned out a ton, but there is still a small amount in the tank that makes my truck bog down sometimes. I've dumped about $10 worth of "water remover" in the tank and that hasn't really helped. Any ideas?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

Hey 73 I used the water remover from Auto Zone and that worked great for me, about a month after I dumped it in the tank I had to remove the tank to clean it so I cleaned the whole thing out but before I removed it my water problem was gone with the water remover good luck man.

keep blazin !!!

3. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Registered Member

OK guys; time to make my self unpopular again. Oh Well. “Water Remover” to my knowledge is a form of alcohol that has a greater affinity for the water molecule than gasoline; the benzene ring is especially difficult to penetrate. Alcohol is not good for elastomer fittings in large quantities.
    The alcohol sucks up the water molecule and VOILA! The water is “gone”. Now you have a tank full of alcohol. If you have a ton of water in the tank, drain it by disconnecting the mech pump from the carb, have your buddy crank the engine over, 30 to 60 secs at a time with 2 minutes in between crankings, and pump all the liquid out of the tank. A mech pump operates at about a rate of 1 pint per 30 seconds or so. An electric pump, take off the rail fuel filter, hook up the bypass on the electric pump from the pump relay and let her rip for a bout 2 minutes at a time.
    In small quantities, the alcohol wont be a problem but beware of putting large quantities in your tank!! .

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I had allot of water and internal rust issues with my tank and to solve my issue I bought an new Polyethelane (sp?) tank! It was a perfict replica eccept made out of poly. Now I never have to worry about cloged fuel filters from the rust in my tank again!

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]