Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water in the motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bleedchevy, Sep 17, 2004.

1. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

Water got sucked into the motor it killed the motor right away, so i pulled the plugs and water came out of two plug holes, so i cranked it over a few times to pump out the water out then put the plugs back in then it fired up after awhile of cranking over. Will the water that got in do a lot of damage? even though it wasnt a lot of water. I know i have to change the differntals, and oil, should i also change the transmission oil as well? It ran good dispite a broken plug. I know its along post but any input would be greatly appreciated. thanks

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would immediately get the oil changed in case some got around the rings and into the pan. Otherwise with fresh oil and as long as it didn't hydro lock and is knocking...you should be good to go just like before. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

As far as changing oil in EVERYTHING, I don't know how well your drivetrain is sealed, I probably wouldn't bother changing the oil in my diffs if I went through water above the axle but I replaced all the seals in them and replaced the vent tubes. It all depends if you think water got in or not. I got into some deep water once and I changed my oil in my old 10B a few months later and the oil looked like milk. I don't know what to say about the tranny, I don't know how submerged it was and for how long.

If there is any decent advise I can give you that is to avoid deep water unless your rig is built to go through it because it causes problems and you will wind up spending a bunch of money and time in changing all your oils when it may or may not be needed or run the risk of ruining something. Stay away from deep water. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

3. bleedchevy

bleedchevy Registered Member

it was to about the bottom of the door, it was going good until i sunk in