Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water in the oil

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Nov 3, 2002.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

well i had a back fire through the carb a few days agon on my 76 jimmy. it light the top end of the motoer on fire. i used a fire putter outter and it didnt put the fire out. i was forced to use water. i did a head kit on it that night and put it back together with a performer intake and a carter 650 carb. i changed the oil after letting it run for a few min to warm up(to help evaporate some of the water out) after the oil change it is still doing the smoky steamy thing... out the pipes and the crank case breathers. did i not get ALL the water out? or do ya think i missed some RTV on a bolt.... i am going to change the oil again here in a day or two. im not driving it yet, but i dont have time to do the oil now. any thoughgts?
    thanks. Grant

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

Head kit? Do ya mean a head gasket? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif
    Anyways....Steamy exhaust and milky oil means water in the oil obviusly..lol...Either blown head gasket, warped head, cracked head and/or block....Don't really mean to give ya all the "Oh [censored]" kinda news....but it could be any of those things....Or I suppose it could be that ya didn't get all the water out of there.....lol, Cross your fingers and hope thats what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

3. Seventy4Blazer

head kit = intake gaskets, exhaust gaskets, valve seals, head gaskets. its like 50 bucks or so. fel pro. good stuff.
    but anyway, i am going to re-tq the heads and change the oil again. maybe that will help. it is less then it was when i first fired it up. hopefully it will work.

any other opinions?

Grant /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Well if you used water on a hot head, you could have warped the heads.
    Anyway try torquing them again and run the engine with the breathers in the rocker covers open so the vapors can escape, and if after an hour you still have water then your heads warped.
    The backfire thing happened to me once and what I did was throw a blanket on it, that suffocated the flames. My brother when it happened to him used the fire extinguisher, and emptied it to put out the fire, it was easy enough to clean the powder.
    Mine was easier and faster.

5. Seventy4Blazer

the engine was cold. it was so far off timming and dirty carb that it wouldnt start. i tried a extingusher... twice. didnt want to dump to much corrosive stuff on the motor. it is smoking less and less, but running hot as he!!
    i am going to mess with it more tomorrow. looks like i will be building the motor out of my blazer for the jimmy. more of an excuse to put a 502 in my blazer.

i ran it for a bit tonight and the water seems to be going away.
    i have to run it a bit to clean out the radiator witht the stuff in it.

thanks for the help, ill let ya know how it goes.
    grant