Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water in the tranny fluid?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blaze, Oct 24, 2000.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I was driving down the road the other day and my truck made the worst noise and lost all gears. I only have 27000 miles on the truck and am very upset by this. I checked the tranny fluid and it seems like it is either completely broken down or there is water in it. It runs right off the dipstick. Does anybody know how the heck this can happen?

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

2. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Was the fluid pink in color? If so, then it's probably water. It could have come from the radiator, if the cooler lines run into the radiator, or if you have crossed any deep water lately, it could have gotten in. I had this problem in my 700r4. The only gear I had was first. Or, if the fluid is really brown, then you got it too hot, and burned it up. Whatever you do, don't take it to AAMCO. They were way over priced and the tranny still dosen't run and shift right. They say they have a 1 year warranty but every time I take it in all they do is adjust the TV cable. In the end it would have been cheaper to buy a rebuilt one from GM and do it myself.

BIGJ

3. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Yeah. The fluid is sorta pink. I figured that it was the cooler lines. I had a radiator leak recently and then it just stopped. I though about it for a while and realized that it was by the cooler lines. I'm really mad about that. I had the tranny rebuilt by my mechanic, who did a really good job. I'm probably just going to let it sit till I can swap in a bigger engine too. I've heard bad stories about AAMCO. How they are still in business I'll never know.

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com