Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water in tranny

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big dan, Jan 9, 2007.

1. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

how much water does it take to turn new transmission fluid into pepto? put in my transmission yesterday and filled it up with fluid. after driving for about thirty minutes I parked it and checked the fluid and it was pink. I figured it was possible that some water had got in the tranny while it sat in my leaking barn for 4 months so I drained all the fluid cleaned it out and replaced the fluid and filter. drove it today to the store and it was pink again so I got another filter and some more fluid. will a little water in the tranny cause this or does it take quite a bit? I ask cause Ive heard that the coolers in the radiator are prone to leaking and dumping coolant into the tranny cooler and Im pretty sure that this is my problem. thanks.

2. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the rad coolers are prone to this, it doesn't take a lot of water to turn your fluid though. a little water will kill the clutches quick too. makes the friction materail seperate from the steels

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Agreed, very little water will cause this problem, and it is hard to get it all out, since so little fluid will come out in a change. (or even 5 changes) Better off having it professionally flushed if you want it clean. If you try it yourself, don't waste money on filters, just fluid. But I tried flushing even the PS pump myself, and it took a LOT of fluid to get out all the contamination. As expensive as Dexron is, I'd seriously consider a pro-flush.

My TH400 had a leaky dipstick tube seal, and what little water could possibly get there while driving, managed to get past the seal, and constantly turned the fluid pink.

It never seemed any worse for wear, I simply fixed it (after maybe two months) and never thought about it again.

4. big dan

whats involved in a pro flush? will I have to pull the tranny? and will it cost me very much? tomorrow Im gonna put on my other cooler and change the fluid again and see if that helps any, if not then I guess it looks like it'll be gettin flushed. thanks guys.

5. dyeager535

I believe they are right around $70 or so. (never had it done, just what I've heard)

Essentially the cooling lines are hooked up to a machine that adds new fluid back into the trans as it removes the old, and continues to pump like this until somehow they figure all the contamination is gone. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't use upwards of 20 quarts to do it, but I'm just guessing wildly. (but even at $2/quart that's pricey for you to do) You figure how much fluid is in your trans (10+ quarts?) and then that the fluid won't simply flush out clean right off the bat, it adds up fast I'm sure.

I'm sure we've got tranny pros here that can answer the specifics.

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

to get a pro flush take it to a tranny shop or the stealership. they will do it for u w/ a machine made for this, prolly costs $100 or so.

7. slider

slider 1/2 ton status

Do it yourself. Remove the return line from the cooler and have someone add trans fluid at the same rate the fluid is coming out of the return. It comes out fast so be ready to fly. Have all of the jugs open and run about 12 quarts thru the trans and see what color the return fluid coming out is.

8. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

Only way to do it properly yourself is to install a drain plug in the converter. You can get the kit from napa. If you have the money though it is alot easier to let a shop do it and be done with it.

How often has anyone seen a cooler cause this? The reason I am asking is that the fluid pressure of the trans is way higher than that of the cooland. I have seen many put tranny fluid in the coolant but never the other way around.

9. big dan

one other question. lets say that my cooler is bad and the coolant is getting in and then going into my transmission. shouldnt my coolant level drop? or like JEBSR said shouldnt there be transmission fluid getting in the coolant?

10. dyeager535

One way or the other you'd think there'd be enough pressure to either overcome the radiator cap OR the tranny would overfill and vent itself, so you'd imagine one or the other WOULD be low.

I've never heard of the radiator cooler failing, but I'm sure it happens, probably not real common. Don't know how you'd isolate the problem though, since in your case there are at least two ways water got or is getting into your trans. :(

I'm not entirely sold on doing a flush yourself, even if you do have all the fluid. If the system is pressurized, (which it is, the lines are under pressure) disconnecting the cooling lines removes all pressure in them, which means you are not returning fluid as fast if sucking out of a bucket, (not only that, but trying to pull air anyways) and judging by how fast trans fluid shoots out when you bust a line, I suspect pouring it down the dipstick tube isn't fast enough.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2007
  11. LA90k5

LA90k5 Registered Member

Recently I got water in my transmission. I changed the fluid and filter twice and it still looked like pepto. I took it and got it flushed and it was good to go. If it happens again, I'll skip changing the fluid myself and get a flush.

12. 1986K10

1986K10 Registered Member

Irecently through my rad back in the truck after changing the engine (6.2 to 350) rad sat empty for about a year, yeah I'm slow.. anyway stated filling it just to make sure there weren't any leaks. Yes there were, from BOTH the tranny cooler fittings and the oil cooler fittings. Not sure how but it did happen. I blocked them all off and put a trans cooler in front of the rad. Pretty sur they weren't leaking before Ipulled the engine?rad, but I'm going to check the trans fluid just to be safe.

13. big dan

well Ive decided that it is my tranny cooler. Im gettin a large amount of water in the tranny and the radiator is overflowing, which Im guessing is because of tranny fluid getting in it. got a new cooler to put in tomorrow and it looks like Ill be takin it to get a flush too and cleaning tranny fluid out of my radiator. hopefully its not too late:(. thanks for the help.