Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water leak -HELP - It's Raining...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by reddog64, Mar 15, 2001.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Water leak -HELP - It\'s Raining...

It rained all night here in Washington. I got in my truck and had a puddle on my drivers side floor under the emergency brake pedal. It's done this before but it's bad, really bad now. It isnt coming from the door or and seal I can see... Somewhere under the dash... Seems to be dripping off somewhere under the dash... I cant find the leak and It's ruining my week old carpet... HELP!!! Any ideas... I havent done a thing inthis area of the truck...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Re: Water leak -HELP - It\'s Raining...

Could be the window seal or running down the A pilar. Or, it my be leaking from the cowl. Look down in there. You may need to dig out leaves and such. It could be simply cracked and leaking or it could be rusted out.

Bad Dog

85 K30 CUCV, 350 TBI, TH400, NP205, D60/C14, 4.56
    Coming soon: 4" lift, 40" tires, massive cutting, shorter wb and rear overhang.

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

It's your windshield gasket. There's a channel behind it so if water gets in there it will rust and make a hole and leak behind the dash. I just ran a bead of silicone around mine and it worked.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

So where do I put the silicone at???

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

5. BadDog

If it is the window gasket and rust, you don't. You need to pull the window, kill the rust, and fix the hole. Anything else is a temporary patch waiting for more expensive damage.

Bad Dog

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

It is the windshileld. I has three leaks in my windehield, so I pulled the whole thing out. Cleaned back there with paint thinner to remove the grime and then had 2 leaks. I broke my windshield trying to fix it, and insurance covered it, the glass guy put some rubber glue stuff where the gasket meets the glass on the outside and it worked really well. No leaks. I also removed my carpet and found a lot of water sitting down there and a small amount of rust.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I put the silicone on the outside. Around the outside edge and inside edge of the gasket. Also, this a temporary fix, as Baddog said, and you should fix the rust as soon as possible

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune time." [​IMG]

8. BadDog

Looking back at my earlier reply, it didn't come out like I meant it to. Certainly, till you get time the silicone can help although it may be hard to get it to stop. Just don't forget to actually fix it when you can or you will wind up with serious problems in a year or two.

Bad Dog