Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K5DRAGER, Aug 26, 2001.

1. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

The other day after a rain storm I noticed that my rear carpet was wet right by the spare tire carrier. Was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if so was it the side window or the rear top seal that was leaking.

2. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing happen to mine but it turned out that it wasn't the windows or the seal. I've got a rear roll bar in mine and someone had left a bolt out on the right side. Guess it threw the water up from the tire through the hole and soaked the carpet. Since it was getting hit with water I put some teflon tape on it before I put it back in. Stopped the leak.

Smitty

3. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

thanks for the reply, but mine don't have a roll bar and my wheel wells and quarters are in great shape-no rust.

4. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

did u drive during the rain storm, because there is a hole in your wheelwell where the tire is bolted in. i took my tire carrier out, and the hole is there, and water sprayes in. but its not bad in my blazer, cuz i hurculined it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://confederate9.coloradok5.com/>confederate9.coloradok5.com/</a>
    <font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

this happens if I drive in the rain or not, and my tire carrier is still mounted so the bolt and everything is still there.the carpet on the wheel well is dry, its the carpet and pad just to the rear of the wheel well and next to the quarter

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Have you got under the truck and looked to make sure there isn't a hole nearby? Maybe you have some rust perforation or a previous owner did some kind of mod tha required drilling into the floor.........

<font color=blue> MEAN DAD WITH TWO BAD KIDS<font color=blue>

7. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Just to double check I just looked again, and there is no holes and no rust. This is a 90 that I just got from the original owner who was anal about the up keep. There is no rust, that is why I I'm trying to find this leak before it causes trouble.I'm thinking its either the side window or the rear top seal. But as far as I know the top has never been off. Not that the seal couldn't still go bad I guess.Thanks for the replys, anyone else have any ideas????

8. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi
    I think there's "gutters" on the outside of the sliding windows that sometimes gets clogged, causing the water to rice to high and enter underneath the sliding window part. Then water can do all sorts of crazy things to get to where you described. Also the fillerneck shield is known to rust away. It has a seal around it, that can dry or rot away without seing it at a quick glance.
    Hope I helped some.

Espen

<font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com>www.espen88k5.alloffroad.com</a></font color=red>