Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water leaking inside from ???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mike86K5, Mar 7, 2000.

1. Mike86K5

Mike86K5 Registered Member

I have a problem with water leaking in and I can't find the source. I live in Seattle and, of course, it rains a lot. I don't see where it's coming in from. All I know is the carpet is soaked after it rains on both driver and passenger sides near the kick pannels. I have a rust-free K5 but the windshield seals look old. Has anyone else tracked down a leak up front that sounds similar to mine?
    Thanks.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

2. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So you think it's rust free huh? hahaha
    Wind sheild rubber could be your culprit thats true. You might also check the the cowel area. You will have to take the pannel off that goes between the hood and windsheild. Drop a light in that big hole and look under tha dash for light comming through.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Your guess about the windshield seal sounds right. I have a '73 and the windshield leaks. I get a nice little trickle coming down the drivers side inside. Also, it kinda bubbles up in the middle on the bottom. I got some silicone type of windshield sealer that supposedly flows into the cracks. It almost worked, may have to try it again. I was just killin time in the parts store one day when I found it.

4. Mike86K5

Mike86K5 Registered Member

that\'s right, rust free

Yes, it's rust-free. I know, hard to believe or what ever, but I know what rust looks like and where it hides (from about a dozen different cars and trucks). This K5 came from the desert before I bought it. That's why the windshield rubber seal is faded, tan colored, cracking, and looks like crap. I think thats where water's probably trickling down from.

Don't hate me because I'm beautiful.

5. 6.2 man

6.2 man 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well Mike I have the same problem with my 83 and I also live in the great northwest . What I did to figure it out was I took electrical tape and tape off the edges of the window seal . The leaks occur in the corners of the body .

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Just another idea: It could be the heater core starting to leak [​IMG].

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

7. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

heater core would probably make it stinky as well as wet.

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Not necesarily. Mine just started to leak and it's not stinky. Depends on wheter you change your coolant often or only when it's dirty.

<font color=purple>////////
    Go 79s!!!
    </font color=purple>[​IMG]

9. Blazerbob

Blazerbob 1/2 ton status

I run across this all the time. The water either comes in between the glass and the rubber on the bottom corners or goes between the gasket and metal. If the first is happeneing, you will be able to see water marks on the inside of the gasket.If the latter, you will only see if dash is removed because gasket goes under dash pad. you could try sealing or take to a glass shop and let them check it out for ya.

Blazerbob<font color=blue>[​IMG]

10. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

The stuff you guys are talking about that sneaks into voids is called "flowable silicone". It really does work, though you may have to reapply it once or twice to seal it up.

11. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Had the same problem...turned out to be the heater core. $25.00 later and two days work finally replaced the darn thing. It finally died of sever lead poisoning.(12ga.)[​IMG] Shame on Chilton's for making it sound so easy to replace.[​IMG]

<font color=green>Eagle86K5