Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water leaks, help me

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by protechk5, Oct 14, 2004.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

On the passenger side since it's running down the side it doesn't look like it could be the heater core so I'd guess it's rust holes somewhere around the windshield. Also if you pull the cowl off (the sheetmetal underneath the windshield wipers) can you see any rust holes there? You may want to have someone spray a hose on it while you're inside looking for leaks.

3. df

df Registered Member

Same issue with my 85 k5. Tried to solve the problem by sealing around the inside of the kick panel vents. This solved the passenger side leak but the drivers side continues to drip in by the gas pedal. Cant figure it out? I also have a new winshield and no rust anywhere. I thought maybe it was running through the hood arm seal and down the inside of the fender and through the vents? Got me?

4. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

yeah iam hopefully going to find out this weekend

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Make sure your cowl can drain...depending on where it is coming in, if the cowl drains (on each side underneath the wper "grille") are plugged up with leaves, debris, etc., water can and will pool up in there, which can lead to leaks.

Those windshields will leak even after install, I don't believe installers use any kind of sealant on the windshield side of the gasket, while they typically do on the frame side. Water will puddle on either side at the bottom of the windshield, if the gasket isn't sealing good against the glass, it will find it's way in there. I fixed that temporarily (to make sure it was the problem) by smearing vaseline in both corners, and the problem went away for a time.

6. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Did you ever solve the water leakage problem? I also have the same problem with my '90 K5. Every time it rains I have to wring out my socks! Water comes in on both sides from near the kick panels. I cleaned out the drains on both sides which did have some crap stuck in there but still have the water coming in. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Today I replaced the windshield gasket with a new one because I did see water coming in from the bottom edge of the glass after pulling the dash pad before the last storm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif I will do the hose test tomorrow to see what happens.

7. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

haha nope, still havent figured it out, let me know if that works

8. muddbudd72

muddbudd72 Registered Member

i have replaced my 90 blazer's windshield twice since i've owned it, i bought it new so i knew that it hadn't been wrecked or anything and ther is no rust. each time it leaked. water would pour in when it rained. glass shop swore it wasn't the windshield but after i pulled the dash pad and showed them, both times, they resealed it and had no problems. and mine was on the driver side also.

9. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I finished putting mine in today - boy that chrome expander strip is tight going in! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif The guy I bought the seal from said he uses 3M's Window Weld after installing the glass - both between the body/gasket and glass/gasket. I have not yet done this but by the sounds of your experiences, I will have to. I haven't done the hose test yet, I'm still riding the good feeling of getting the windshield in without breaking it, I don't want to know that it leaks just yet, it feels better just believing for a while that maybe it doesn't!

10. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

I did the hose test today and to my surprize..........NO LEAKS!!! /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif It hasn't rained yet - not complaining mind you - so it hasn't passed the ultimate test but it did leak from the hose test before so I must be making headway. It was so bad the seat pedistals were rusted up almost 2 inches from the floor! By the way, I never did use any sealant around the gasket on either side, just the new gasket. Oh, did I mention the gasket and the expanding strip cost $90. LMC sells them for $45, but I was impatient and odered it from a local glass shop. Haste does make waste.

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I have had that damn leak for 7 years with my truck. Recnetly I swapped windshield frames when I went full convertable. Had to pull the glass obviously...

I did crack the glass removing it, and once again putting it back in but both cracks aren't anywhere in my sight line so it's staying for now.

I found some scaley rust under the windshield gasket, so I brushed it all away, smoothed the rough parts with some JB weld [whislting] and put the glass back in. I counted on it leaking worse than it did before...but it doesn't leak at all anymore and I used no sealer. I figure the scaley rust was compromising the seal between the rubber and the windshield frame at the corners and allowing water to leak in.

At any rate...I don't have carpet anymore, but I'm still happy the leaks are gone.

Rene

PS, the expander strip is a real PITA!!!