Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

*%$# water leaks!!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by txfiremank5, Nov 23, 2004.

1. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I have a leak in the K5 that I can't track down. I know where it's coming out at, but don't know where it's getting in at. It's dripping down from the drivers side kick panel.. near the hood release. It does it when it rains, and we have been getting pounded for a week straight.. and my carpet is soaked on that side. It seems to be coming from up under the dash area, then running down the kick panel. It's a pretty small leak, but with all the rain we've had it's getting to be a real pain in the keaster.

Anyone have any ideas where it may be getting in at? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

2. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Do you have floor vents? Or is it set up for AC? If so, check to make sure that the sides aren't full of crap. IIRC, you have to pull the vent/kick panel covers off and dig all the stuff out of there. that's what is was with mine. Also, it might be worth pulling the dash pad off and looking to see if your window frame is rusted out at the bottom corner. If it is, you'll know it when you see it.

3. txfiremank5

It has AC, 89 K5.

I'll give those a try .. when the rain finally stops. I can't get anything done lately...

Dry land is a myth..

Thanks for the ideas.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine leaked in that exact spot, and the exact spot on the passenger side. The spot corresponds to a body seam at the windsheild frame itself. When I swapped windshield frames I could see exactly where the water had been running down...

I cleaned up the rust shale in those areas when the windshield was out, smoothed it out using some JB weld /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif and then put the glass back in without any sealer. I had one leak at the middle top of the glass for a day or so until the glass settled into the gasket better.

Now it doesn't leak at all. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I think the bottom of the frame gets a little rusty, and as the rust scales up it pushes the gasket away from sealing tightly enough to keep the water out. Scale gone, leak gone.

Rene

5. 85burbanator

85burbanator 1/2 ton status

mine leaked there as well. the lower corners of the window frame were rusted out so i just shot some expansion foam in there. its a beater now so i dont really care what it looks like.

6. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

yup mine does it there to, it is the window frame, there is not much you can do about it maybe try some silicon, I am just going to herculine it all so I dont have to worry about it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. txfiremank5

What about just the window seal itself... /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I guess it's poss that it could be rusted under there, but there is no other rust on the entire blazer. Even the area under the carpet where it has been leaking looks great.... just wet /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif .

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll try to get a better idea of what's going on when the rain stops for more than a few hours.

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Mine drips all over my left arm when it's raining. My problem is worn out door hinges. Sounds like your prob is in the windshield though so I'll shut up. /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. scubahard

scubahard Registered Member

My 1981 Truck leaks the same way: From the window seal. I took my Glove compartment off and that gave me access to the inside of the seal so I was able to see where it was coming in. I ran a water hose up to my windshield to let the water run over the seal. This allowed me to see where the water was coming in. Then.....went crazy with the RTV on the inside and out. If that does not hole I will replace the entire seal.