Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water neck troubles

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by therover87, Jul 11, 2001.

1. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

i have an 87 k5 and i replaced my thermostat the other day and now it is leaking i am not sure if i put the gasket on right. i thought you are supposed to put the gasket on the water neck and then put the thermostat on the manifold and bolt it down, i am new to all of this and would appreciate any help thanks

2. johnny reb

johnny reb 1/2 ton status

Put the thermostat in the manifold. Apply a thin coat of RTV sealant around the thermostat on the intake and also on the water neck. Put the gasket in place. Tighten (but do not overtighten) bolts. Also make sure that you have removed the old gasket entirely. If there are pieces stuck on the water neck or the manifold, this can cause leaks too.

1986 K5, New GM 350, Edelbrock Intake, K&N Air Filter, Flowtech Headers, Dual 3" Exhaust, 33" Pirelli Scorpion AT, 700R4, 3.42 gears

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds lik eyou did it right. Thermostat goes on manifold, gasket goes on and then waterneck. I usually gasket goop both side of the gasket for better adhesion.. Did you over or under tighten you bolts? If you over tightened, you may have crimped or torn the gasket.

Also, when you took the old thermostat out, did you make sure you got all of the old gasket off the manifold and the waterneck? You may have missed a piece and it is leaking there.
    <font color=green>MIKE</font color=green> - "Hukd on fawnics,werkd fer me!"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101</A>
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Emmettology 101 on 07/11/01 02:17 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I just did mine a few weeks ago. I got one of those gaskets with the adhesive on one side. I made sure the intake and water neck were perfectly clean. Put the thermostat in the intake and stuck the gasket over that. I put a real thin layer of blue RTV on the top of that gasket, waited for it to set up a little bit and put the water neck back on. Its bone dry so far.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. therover87

therover87 1/2 ton status

yeah i overtightened the bolts, hey guys thanks for the help, so far no leaks