Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Cr1028, Dec 6, 2000.

1. Cr1028

Cr1028 Registered Member

I'm new and am not very mechanically inclined so bear with me. My 81 K5 wants to quit when I accelerate in or right after being in water. Could water be getting into my gas tank or what? It drives fine after it dries for a little while. Any help is greatly appreciated.

81 K5

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Im not very technical either but maybe it got into your air intake how deep of water are you gettin into maybe build a snorkel out of pvc?

[​IMG] SlyDog [​IMG]

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

check your distributor cap for water...

Um... yes officer I know it's too big...

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I agree with Reddog, check your distributor for water inside the cap. Sometimes the fan will blow the water all over the distributor if its deep enough or if your going fast enough.
    Body lifts tend to aggravate this because of the gap created between the inner fender and the frame.
    Slow and steady for water crossings is usually the best insurance against this problem.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

Yeah, it's likely ignition. The distributor cap is the first place to look, but even if you don't see the water, even a microscopic crack will cauuse problems when it gets wet. Second, check all the ignition wiring and the coil.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

How old are the plug wires? When they get real old they can start to get tiny cracks in the insulation. Get a bit of water on them and the spark will start to arc to the engine instead of going to the plugs.

Open your hood in a really dark place and look under the hood. If your eyes are adjusted to the darkness you can actually see the sparks dancing around on the wires if they're bad. I looked under the hood of one of my K5's many years ago that was running kind of rough. The wires had a purple corona around them, with occasional zaps to the valve covers. Looked like St. Elmo's Fire! New plug wires made it run MUCH better. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com