Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water proof

Discussion in 'Audio' started by NJ SAR Guy, Feb 19, 2000.

1. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

Okay, I've got a certain vission for my Blazer. Part of that is making everything completly water proof. I've already got a set of Kicker Marine 8" subs, and I'm in the process of waterproofing my dash, but I can't seem to find anything OTHER than subs in water proof speakers. I'm currently just running Pioneer 4x10s in the rear w/ 3 1/2" Prestige 2 ways up front. They're okay, but I'm looking for something that's water proof and very high quality. Like the Kicker Marines they sound AWESOME. I've heard the closed box Pioneer water proof speakers, though and they sound like crap. Speakers don't have to be the same size as my current speakers anyway as I am going to be building custom inclosures anyway. 6x9s rear would be great though.
    Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

2. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

JBL mentions on their GTi series speakers page that they won't be damaged by water, but they shouldn't be installed near wet places.

My dad once drowned his truck in a river (Toyta 2wd about 3' deep), and after allowing it to dry, the speakers worked fine.

I think most speakers are waterproof, as long as they don't have crosovers or any other electronics in them.

<font color=red>////////
    BLAZER79</font color=red>

3. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

I took all my gear and gave it a generous coat of silicone, as I have run it up to the headlights, alot of things get wet, I just make sure everything is turned off (audio gear that is) before I attempt the high water crossings, that includes everything except belts under the hood also. So far once things aren't submerged no problems..WK

4. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Just cruised my Crutchfield catalog.....lots of 6x9's now are made with exotic materials....polyethylene, poly-graphite, Rigitex(JBL), etc. Most have rubber surrounds, attaching the cone material to the metal ring, that should hold up well. Any speaker will suffer if water gets in the voice coil, but that should be inside an enclosure.
    Check out Crutchfield if you haven't, they seem to be a little higher than some, but they have a very informative catalog. http://www.crutchfield.com Good luck!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.html

5. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

Hey waterproof guy,
    Look into Kicker for waterproof gear. They have "Kicker Impluse Marine" stuff. 8, 10, and 12 inch subs(can be used free-air). and 6 1/2 Coaxials (2-way) w/grills. E-mail me for more info on them (i got their magazine)
    Colonel Ado 82 K5

6. NJ SAR Guy

NJ SAR Guy Registered Member

I knew about the Subs (I have two Kicker Marine 8"s) but didn't know about the two ways. Know of a site I can check them out at?

NJ SAR Guy

Please excuse all of my misspelled wurds.

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

8. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Check out magazines or catalogs for jeeps. I've seen lots of speakers that claim to be water proof. actually i'm sure i've got a catalog here somewhere(hubbys got a cherokee) don't know what kind of quality they are....but jeeps have a tendancy to get kinda wet(you know the whole no roof thing) anyway just a thought.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

9. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Go to a Marine Shop all the speakers in the boats are water proof. Jensan use to have marine coaxle speakers.

C'moe

10. talison79

talison79 1/2 ton status

Hey check out overtons.com under marine electronics. They have cd cassets changers and other stuff.

11. 73Jimmy

73Jimmy Registered Member