Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Proofing A K5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hawkeye649, May 19, 2006.

1. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

I was trying to find a comprehensive list of stuff to do to water proof my truck, and I found some stuff but not quite what I was looking for.
    I found alot of posts saying things like breather tubes for the diffs and t-case tranny, some die electric grease on the plugs, and the odd snorkle or way to make it more snorkle like.
    What I am looking for, is there anyone out there who knows how to get the rig military water proof. I'd like the passengers to need a snorkle before the truck starts complaining...
    Is there anyone here who uses a positive air system for their differentials like the hummers do? Would this work for the transmission, t-case, and distributor (I have a 90 w/ HEI)?
    Would gauges croak when submersed? I've read that they still work after getting rained on... but?
    Just don't like "loose" ends good enough. Always drives me nuts in life...

2. hawkeye649

hawkeye649 1/2 ton status

T T T
    Is it just me or is it gae that TTT auto-magically get's the last two T's lower-cased when posted...

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

HMMWV's do not have positive pressure sytems to keep water out of the diffs, tranny/t-case, or geared hubs- just breather tubes. All electrical connections on military vehicles have a rubber boot on them to make them water proof and the engine is a diesel so it eliminates all of the problems with sealing the ignition system. I have only had a HMMWV in water that deep once and when I came out two of my gauges had water in them. I don't think I have ever had a HMMWV where all the gauges worked anyway.

I think its 5 ton and up trucks that have positve pressure systems on the axles and such

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

Maybe a swamp buggy forum (if one exists) would have a better handle on it. Water proofing for a dunk here and there is one thing, making it amphibious is another.

5. littlejimmythatcould

littlejimmythatcould 1/2 ton status

I've heard of putting rtv/ silicon on the distributor cap to help keep moisture out but I don't know if it works or not, haven't tried it yet. I'm still waiting on rain to take my truck muddin'. NM is dry :( .

6. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

siliconing the dist cap on does work, but the cap is supposed to be vented. a non-vented dist cap causes the air inside to ionize(splg), which can & will cause it to cross fire inside the cap, so it is not a long term solution

7. K5TRLBLZR

K5TRLBLZR Registered Member

How about a marine application. I had one of those duel point jobs back in the day. Never did put it on though. LOL

8. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

florida swamps..

Those "Swamp Buggies" they race in Florida had some kind of epoxy stuff from the phone company all over the cap and base of the distributor..it must work,because the jeeps run completely submerged!..I've seen rubber gloves used on 4 cyl dist.caps!..maybe you can google "swamp buggies",and borrow some waterproofing tips from those guys..:crazy:

9. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine has a truck set up for deep mud and we sealed the dizzy as you said and then built a vent tube for it that run inside the cab. We also moved the coil and batt. and air cleaner inside the cab. His truck will run underwater.