Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water proofing my HEI

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 26, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

I want it sealed up and plan on doing RVT or silicone around the base, But my main problem is condensation. can you put a breather on a distributor? if so how, or is it even needed. also what should i use to seal up my plug wires. Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

why do that ?
    ive never had a probolem with water and HEI

3. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

yes, you have to vent it to let out the carbon from the contacts. otherwise you'll need to change cap and rotor with every oil change....or so ive read

ryan

4. getitup

getitup Registered Member

I have heard of people sealing up their cap and then running a small vacuum to it so no condensation will build up. I have never tried it so I am not sure how well it works.

5. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yes, you will need to run a vent line of some sort from the distributor if you seal it.

6. the professor

the professor 1/2 ton status

THe third post is right..
    --
    Seal a HEI and you will have nothing but problems..
    --
    40-50,000 volts, arcing from the rotor to the contacts produces lots of "ionazation", the "air" inside the cap gets conductive, just like a fluorescent light bulb...
    --
    You will get all kinds of problems, from missfire to crossfire
    --
    You are better off, drilling .040 holes, near the top of the cap on the side, between the terminals, to "vent" it..(old drag race trick).and letting engine heat keep it dry.. Shield it with a rubber boot if you get alot of splash... get one off a 5.0L Ford from the mid '80's up...

Speaking of Ford.. They HAVE a vent in the cap, just for this reason...and the boot to shield the distributor.. and their distributor is in the front...take a look

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Speaking of Ford.. They HAVE a vent in the cap, just for this reason

[/ QUOTE ]

My '88 TPI has a vent as well, but its a mesh screen at the base of the distributor. Those of us that don't run Fords don't have to worry about water splashing on the distributor nearly as much. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif (only joking folks)