Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water proofing relays

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Sep 30, 2002.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have a set of back up lights that have 35 watt lamps in them, Which is no problem for the B/U switch and 14 ga wire that I have on it now.
    I have a set of 100 watt lamps that I want to put in but I need to run relays for them.
    Idealy you want the relay as close to the source as possible, So I would like them under the bumper.
    I got ahold of some pipe and caps, just need to cut some threads on 2 ends.
    Punch a hole in the middle of the caps and install a gromet.
    Weld the pipe under the bumper and have the relay's inside the pipe.
    Then booger on some sealant over the grommet.
    Any one else running a similar set up?

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

You can also hit up McMaster Carr PN 9672K13 or PN 9672K14 they are weatherproof for wet applications. And some marine/boat shops carry a few 12 volt water proof relays.

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't run all that wiring all the way to the back. I seems like way too much trouble to me. That's what they make larger gauge wire for. Keep your relays under the hood and run one switched "hot" wire back to the lights and ground the other end. It'll work just as well and be much less hassle. You are just pulling 16 amps if you run two 100watt lights. One 30A relay will be sufficient....I use the automotive "Bosch" style. They are easy to mount and pretty near waterproof.