Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Proofing the HEI?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BorregoK5, Mar 21, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

What does everyone else here do to waterproof their HEI?

2. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

I used clear silicon caulk(spelling) around the coil cover, and I also re-wired the entire engine using a liquid electrical tape. I had a cover made from rubber that I used I modified one from a ford 302, but it ended up trapping more water then stopping it. Jesse

3. Burbinator

Burbinator 1/2 ton status

I tried the same thing: distributor boot from a Mustang 5.0 I used to own with the same results, while my GT never had an issue. I think the distributor positioning of the Ford 302 vs. Chevy 350 is the key element (front vs. rear).

Wire loom, sealed at the ends with slicone, and a good industrial o-ring at the distributor base seems to work best. For me, anyway...

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I'll try the caulking on the coil cover, thats a good idea. I hate slamming into a deep puddle and getting the hit and miss afterward! And with Azusa coming up, I better get prepared!

5. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

RTV around bottom of cap worked for me

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Don't forget to vent it as well. You can drill a hole in it and epoxy on a nipple to run to the spot where all the rest of your vent lines meet. I am also thinking of making roll-over check valves to put into all my vent lines (at least all the ones that would leak). I have heard of some people making them out of some brass NPT/Hose Barb adapters and a female to female NPT adapter with a piece of slingshot ammo inside. You would just have to put a groove on the lower adapter so it would breath in normal position and not if upside-down or sideways.

7. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

I just used a layer of Vaseline around the bottom of the cap. That way it repels water, and if it needs to vent it will just blow thru the jelly without a big problem.
    Also, do both ends of your wires with dielectric grease in the boots.

Mike

8. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I just use dieletric grease inside all of the wire boots and around the base of the distributor cap. I wouldn't try to seal it completely because there is nothing worse than an almost sealed enclosure with air inside it.

If you are going to immerse the whole engine, that is another story...