Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water pump and front oil seal on 97 1500 with 5.7 vortec

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by k5ntexas, Oct 30, 2002.

1. k5ntexas

k5ntexas 1/2 ton status

Oct 29, 2001
    is it hard to replace those things on the newer vortecs? is there alot of crap in the way? my dad wants me and a few of my buds to do it. he'd pay us but he dont' wanna take it to a mechanic. dont' feel like spendin way too much money. just askin if its any different than any other older 5.7. later.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

May 31, 2000
    I just replaced the water pump on our '94 Sub. It isn't a Vortec, but it has the serpentine belt system. None of the accessory brackets were in the way! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif I pulled off the upper half of the fan shroud, then removed the fan, then removed the belt. Then I just had to remove the 4 bolts that hold the water pump in place. Installed the new pump and put it all back together.

You'll need a few special tools to replace the front oil seal. You need a harmonic balancer puller to get it off the crank. Then a seal puller to get the old seal out of the timing cover. Try to find a piece of pipe that is the same diameter as the seal housing, to use to drive the new seal in place. Then you'll need a harmonic balancer installation tool to put it back onto the crank. DO NOT hammer on the harmonic balancer to reinstall it. You can crush the thrust bearing surface inside the engine, which will result in too much crankshaft endplay. Not too long after that you'll get to rebuild the engine. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif