Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Pump Possibly

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer_Boy, Feb 18, 2001.

1. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

I think my water pump maybe starting to go bad. Here's the usual info, 82 Silverado / 350 (newer crate motor) / 700R4 / NP208C / 31" Michelin. Anyways Im getting something that sounds like a squel and whine. Its kinda hard to describe it but it has a lower volume and pitch of a loose belt. It comes and goes whenver it wants. It may do it with power, letting off, just whenever. It did stop though after about an hour of driving. My tempature sender is a little messed up so it reads high, a little over 210 at idle. I've already switched the gauge and it still reads the same. To be honest its probably the coolest running F/S GM we've owned. The guy I had overhaul my carb and distributor said too that it was the sender. Using the gauge as a guide anyways, heres what it says. At idle or slow speeds its a little over 210. At higher speeds or when the engine is working harder it raise about 30 degrees. Shortly after returning to a slower speed it will fall back to around the 210 mark.

I've checked about everything else that could be making noise. I have a leaky power steering hose but the fluid is always at the correct level. I only hear noise from the pump whenver I have the wheel over all the way, ya know like every GM. I tried the altenator by turning on the heater, lights, CB, and all 4 KCs, not a peep. I tried turning off the the heater fan but the noise didn't change. I always lose a little fluid from the rad, about 6 or 7 inches a month.

The noise really has nothing that makes it go for sure. I dont hear it at highway speeds though. What do you think, Am I hearing stuff or is something trying to crap out on me. Thanks [​IMG]

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I always thought a bad water pump will squeal more when it's hot, and less when it's cold. The symptoms you're describing sound more like a bad belt.

A couple of years ago, my power steering pump started squealing at odd times, with no rhyme or reason. I was pretty sure the pump was on it's way out, so one day me and a buddy pulled everything off the front of the motor to get to it. The pump looked fine(bearings, etc...) so we reinstalled it and I replaced all the accessory belts since everything was apart. My squealing disappeared immediately and hasn't come back since.

You mentioned that you're losing coolant- Is there any sign of leakage from your weep holes on the water pump body? That's a sure sign of imminent pump failure. Your belt could also be squealing because coolant is burping out of the weep holes and landing on the belt. Once it dries, the squealing will stop.

Anyhow, just a few ideas.......sorry for the long-winded reply.

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

3. Blazer_Boy

Probably is the belt. Before I tightened my altenator belt is was squealing like a stuck hog. I put on some belt dressing before I did that, way back in october and it was quite. I'll have to check the tension and give them a squirt with the dressing.

June 2001 - The Texas Sawz All masacre begins. Be afraid rust, be very afraid. [​IMG]

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If I was you, I would be a little concerned where that 6-7 inches of coolant is going. I only lose about an inch of coolant every couple of months........

<font color=red>PHOTO ALBUM-</font color=red> <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=1289798</A>.......<font color=blue>TRUCK & HIKING PICS</font color=blue>

5. blazercrazy

blazercrazy Registered Member

6-7 inches of coolant per month?! Do you see a puddle under your truck? If you don't it could be going into your block. See if your oil is cloudy. You can take your alternator to a parts place and they'll usually check it for you. It'll rule that out. A water pump isn't that expensive anyway, I would change it if it's been a while. Look at the belts also. Is fluid leaking onto them? 6-7 inches per month of coolant loss is way too much! I might loose one inch in about 6mo. Norm operating temp (in Texas mind you) has been about 190. What temp thermostat are you running?

Make sure your truck is the muddy one! [​IMG]

6. Blazer_Boy

I think I got the fluid figured out. My oil is in good shape, looks good every change. It was originally 305 equipped the motor was changed to a crate 350. There was a hose comming out of the upper passenger side of the radiator but it was blocked. They just cut the house short and put some kinda silicone in there to block it off. I grabed the "nub" and squeezed it after filling the rad and got some fluid to come out. The fluid level was just below that hole when I filled it so I assume that must be it. I'll go get a proper rubber cap for it and see what happens. Thanks Guys [​IMG]

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

I have had two chevy trucks that would NEVER stay full. The antifreeze was always 6-7 inches below the neck. I have pressure checked my radiatoar and it shows no leaks. Its happy being that low, it doesnt overheat so I leave it alone. Any ideas?

creepin' and crawlin'

Jim