Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Pump Question ASAP

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am replacing my water pump right now. I need someone to tell me that those 2 little holes in the pump body are supposed to be there and be unblocked. The holes are about 1/4 in diameter and are right above and below the pump shaft. One on top and one on bottom. The water pump I just pulled off had one on the bottom and it was unplugged so I assume this is supposed to be like this correct? Thanks

Harley

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

They do not need to be blocked, they are weep holes. If they ever have liquid come out the seal is shot.

John

3. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

yes they are suppose to be there. i was thinking the same thing then i asked the guys at the auto parts store. they are there to let you know that the water pump is starting to go out. they will be leaking with coolant when it is bad.

4. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

That is what I thought. I believe that is where my old water pump was leaking from, so I thought it was supposed to be there. I just got the project done. Thanks for the replys. I appreciate it.

Harley