Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Pump Replacement

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Eric78K5, Jan 2, 2001.

1. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

Hey guys!
    Well, my water pump is leaking, and it's time to replace it. A stock type replacement from AutoZone costs 25, while a "high performance" one costs 48. I understand that the performance one generates more flow, or pressure, but what I want to know is why I would want that? Thanks guys.

Eric78K5
    K5-Because Size Matters!

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

3. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

At low engine speed, rock crawling, stop and go, etc., you could run the risk of overheating if the stock pump is not pumping the coolant around fast enough. A high volume pump will get coolant through the radiator at a higher rate and help with the low speed cooling. If you have a good 4-core, and you don't plan on operating it at low engine speeds, then a stock will do just fine. At the other end, high speed operation, the stock pump could cavitate and cause a reduction of coolant flow. Most higher volume pumps have a plate that is installed on the pump impellor's that improves flow. Just a bit of added insurance against the old man heat.

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Buy the best one you can afford and one that is name brand. You don't wanna have to do this again real soon because the cheaper pump broke quickly.

"An old Blazer never dies, they just... rust away."

5. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

you will also need to figure out which water pump you have!!! chevy makes three diff. sizes.... the neck that the pulley bolts to is either short,medium or long...if you have the wrong one you will start eating belts up...just try to measure it from the back of the pump from the two "wings" that bolt onto the block to the end of the pump shaft where the pulley bolts to...then just measure the one at the store to see if it is the same,,,they might have them listed under same part number so just try out a couple before you go to anither shop....

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]