Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water Pumps

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, May 3, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Who makes a good water pump for the money? I need a new one and I want to get something that is of decent quality for a decent price. I have been running on the $20 Checker special for 3 years but now I want to get a pretty good pump and not have to worry about it as much.

Who makes a good pump? Thanks

Harley

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hard to say...

We used to sell "Airtex" water and fuel pumps at the stores I worked at, in addition to the "A-1 Cardone" rebuilts..both brands had very few defectives or failures--if a garage was doing a water pump in a vehicle with a timimg belt and was leery of using a rebuilt pump,I'd send them the brand new
    Airtex" one instead of the cheaper rebuilts--we sold "Blue Chip" wayer pumps too,they were a 50/50 shot of getting a good one,but were popular due to the cheap price...cant say how good ANY brand is now!--that was 10 yeaes ago,many of those companies might not even exist today!(or if they do,they are probably making them in china or mexico,like everyone else.. :mad: )

Even if you go right to a GM dealer and get a genuine AC Delco one,chances are(good) its not american made!....

I put an Autozone 13.99 rebuilt water pump on my vans 307 I swapped in,because I feared the original pump (73!) would start leaking the day after I put the motor in,and its a bitch to install with the motor IN the van,so I bought the rebuilt pump...

I took one ride to my brothers house 82 miles away and back,a few local trips to go shopping,etc--one day at a fast food joint I smelled antifreeze burning,and I prayed it wasn't MY van--but it WAS! :mad: --leaking like a faucet out of the "weep hole" !..I was pissed!--now I had to do another water pump swap with the motor IN,just what I had planned to avoid!--they gave me another one free(lifetime warranty!)--and it hasn't leaked yet--but it hasn't moved since dec 2003 either! :blush: ---hard to say if ANY brand of ANY parts is a "good" one anymore unfortunately...its all about price and profit now,not quality... :frown1: :crazy:

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I am running the cheapy too , the better one in the GMB box . Which is a shame . The one I used to have had the impeller trick done to it . Which can be bought for 6.95 at Summit and pop rivets ( self tappers work too ) behind the impeller and creates a water wheel like a steamship instead of the stock cookie cutter , increases flow . Was too lazy to do this one .

Fortunately I have over 25,000 miles on the new one and it still runs cool .

4. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

Get an AC Delco, I believe they have a lifetime warranty and are damn good pumps.

5. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

Get the high flow GMB at checker. I think they are like $40. They are not aluminum, but work good. I have used them on big blocks with good luck. Stay away from airtex now. They use to be good, but now they fail quickly(buddy put three on his blazer in 6 months)

Dan

6. sandy78

sandy78 Registered Member

Good water pump

I used a GM cast iron take-off from Sallee Chev. on my motor when I built it. For $15 and the shipping it is hard to beat. Brand new, only been mounted and removed because someone wanted a fancy aluminum one. They have all kinds of other cool take off stuff pretty cheap as well. Just check their website.

7. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

I use NAPA GOLD LINE when I gotta put my name on it!

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I went to Autozone to get there Cardone HD pump but they were out and the nearest one was far away and in a BAD area of town. I didn't bring my gun with me so I went to Checker instead and got there Cardone pump with a lifetime warranty. Thanks

Harley