Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water seeping into the cab problems... body shop experts can you solve it???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Ben

Ben Registered Member

I have had this problem for YEARS! Water seeping into the cab. So I always try and park facing downhill!! Usually works. And finally after all these years, I am getting around to doing something about it. The water comes in from the upper left corner of the dash, body seams leaking it appears. I have sealed and resealed the windshield many a time! I have also removed the dash, cluster, turned on the garden hose and soaked the hell out of the area to try a pinpoint the exact leak to no avail. I order from LMCtruck.com, a pair of fender seals and hood hinge deflector seals and it's a big job to install them. Involves removing the fenders, hood, cowl, inner wheel wells, etc... Anyone else have a similar problem? How did you solve it? When I remove the fenders, any areas I should be checking and welding or will these fender seals do the job? Thanks!

2. rampage

rampage 1/2 ton status

If it's definitely coming from around the windshield you may need to remove the windshield and check for rust holes in that area. If everything seems ok then get a new windshield gasket and install it, using adheasive between the gasket and windshield frame.
    It could also be the door seal. The water runs down along the gasket and down the A-pilar and leaves a nice wet spot on the carpet (ask me how I know /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif).

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

do you have the factory chrome trim up above the doors? i do and mine leak in through the screw holes, mine also leaks in through the fresh air vent..

4. Ben

Ben Registered Member

It's not the windshield gasket leaking; replaced it twice and sealed the hell out of it! It fact to determin if the windshield is leaking or not, we "duct taped" the windshied and ran water over it. Still leaked but not from the windshield. No other openings. The vents have new gaskets and trial and error using the garden hose shows the vents to be water tight. No, the leak is coming from the body seams. I took the flash light and got up under the dash and pointed the light up toward the dash/windshield and I can see the water seeping in along the seams. What are the fender gaskets for anyway?! I'm figuring why have rubber gaskets that are about a foot long by 3-4 inches wide ubless they are needed to seal the water out? Oh well! I have a project to do installing the fender gaskets! Once I remove the fenders, maybe I'll spot a hole or two.

5. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

Hey!On my 77 k10 i had water puddling up on my drivers side floor thought it had top be windshield sealedit,resealed it with new gasket still didnt stop it here it was inside the cowl area the seam had split.Ijust used some seam sealer and sealed it up again good as new check there maybe??

6. k5guyva

k5guyva 1/2 ton status

Re: Water seeping into the cab problems... body shop experts can you solve

What we do on boats with leaking windows is to use a water soluble marker (not a permanent one) and draw around the area you think it is leaking. Then wait for a good rain or use your garden hose. The water will remove the marker ink where the water runs down. This makes it easy to see where the leak is.

I would really check the window area for rust, as well as the seams near the roof of the cab. Water runs downhill. It could be running inside the roof pillar.

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

have a lund sun visor or some other bolt-on roof accessory?

j

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Don't have that problem, It just runs out the hole in the floor /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif