Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water temp gauge question? 1979 K5 blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BozoWise, Apr 28, 2002.

1. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

My water temp gauge is not working and I have just added electric fans and removed the mechanical fan for water crossing adventures. Where should I start to look for the problem. I would figure it is the sending unit or gauge as all my other gauges work fine. Should I just forget the factory gauge and install a new gauge? I would like to get the factory gauge to work unit I have time to build my new dash, at that time I will be replacing all my gauges.

2. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

Most of the time it's the sending unit, they go bad all the time. If the guage just sits at the coldest spot, I'm betting it's the sending unit. If you take the wire off the sending unit and ground it out, the guage should move or peg on the hot side. If it doesn't move, then you need to look into wiring or something else. But 99 out of 100 times it's the sending unit. Hope this helps.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

3. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

That sounds like my problem, but where is the sending unit on a 1979 sbc 400? Thanks in advance

4. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Its on the driver's side head between the #1 and #3 spark plugs. It will have a green wire going to it.

5. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

THANKS going to replace it now ;-)

6. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

It is amazing how well the gauge works when the wire is plugged on the sensor ;-)

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hahaha, I've done that. My oil pressure gauge was pegging out when off and I figured sure enough that the sender was screwed. I had a dirty contact and I guess the pressure gauge works the opposite as temp, full reading when not hooked.