Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Water temp sender on 6.2 diesels?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dremu, Jan 15, 2007.

1. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

So my M1009 CUCV has, of course, only the idiot lights, and only a "low coolant" warning, which is connected to a leaky sender in the radiator. On the list of stuff to fix when I replace the heater core.

I'd like to add an aftermarket water temperature gauge, under the dash or in the ashtray. Question is, does the 6.2L have a stock location in the block or heads somewhere that I can plumb one in, or do I have to add it into one of the radiator hoses somewhere? I'd rather put it in the block/head if possible, cleaner and less likely to wreak havoc later on.

I imagine the stock civvy trucks have one, so there's gotta be a hole somewhere ... right?

Next question is gonna be if anybody knows if the resistance range of the stockers is anything like the aftermarket, i.e. if I can mix and match a factory sender with an aftermarket cheapo gauge like this:

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?categorycode=3342D&mfrcode=EQU&mfrpartnumber=6262

-- A

2. colbystephens

colbystephens 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

the stock location on my '83 is one space frontward of the front-most drivers side glow plug. that being said, if i recall correctly, there are 2 threaded plugs that go into the water jacket on each head - one at the rear and one at the front. both on the same face as the gp's. if not a total of 4, i know for certain that there are at least 2 on mine - one where i stated my temp sensor is, and one diagonally opposite it on the back passenger side head. :)

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

TTT -- anybody know about the resistance of the senders?

-- A