Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

water temp sender on tbi motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SkysTheLimit, Mar 28, 2007.

1. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

I was tracing out my harness to figure out what goes to what on the firewall block to hook up the senders on the new motor and it looks like the water temp sender goes straight into the ECM. :mad:

Does anyone know how to hook up the sender to the gauge without going through the ECM? I'm trying to avoid having to go all aftermarket gauges just yet. Eventually I will but all my funds have been dumped into getting this thing back on the road.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

There are 2 different temp senders on a TBI motor. One is in the drivers side head, single wire, dark green. Should have a flat, spade like connector. It goes through the fuseblock and to the gauge as I recall.

There is a 2 wire connector that goes to sender in the manifold and it goes to the computer. But I dont recall wire colors.

3. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

As stated above:

The one on the driver's side is the temp sender for the gauge (1 wire), and the one on the intake next to the thermostat housing is the temp sensor for the ECM (2 wire). If you don't have it figured out by 5pm I'll run home and snap some pics for you. :waytogo:

P.S. Wire colors on the 2 wire sensor are black and yellow I believe.