Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waterproof Fuse Block

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MNorby, Feb 27, 2005.

1. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I currently have a fuse block to run my aux items such as elec fans and lighting and such. The block I have now is ompletely open and after being through mud and everything it just doesn't want to function all the time and I am constatly cleaning the connecitons. Does anyone know of a good waterproof fuse block that hlds 6 or so fuses and is decently high amp? Thanks

2. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Check waytekwire.com I want to say I saw something at least close to what you're asking for in their catalog. That, or consider putting it inside a Tuperware.

A friend turned me on to a cool trick for cleaning fuse blocks. Soak it in Vinegar. Takes the corrosion right off the terminals w/o affecting anything else.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Poke around on some marine sites. They have just about any waterproof part that you can imagine. ;) www.westmarine.com is one that comes to mind.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

This one has a cover, but doesn't specify whether or not it is waterproof:
    Fuse Block

5. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've quit using fuses and started using all circuit breakers years ago. Couple of dollars apiece and no replacement of fuses. The ones I get are sealed and waterproof as far as I can tell! Some have been in use for over ten years on a CB panel I made for aux lights, horns, and flood lights and interior lights. Coincidently I installed one yesterday for a second cigarette lighter/power receptacle.

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

my Chevelle is all breakers.. did that over a decade ago... the K5 will get em whenever possible...

i've got a waterproof marine breaker panel to go in my center console to feed aux stuff as i add it... don't remember where we get em for the life of me.. its not West or Lewis.. if i remember i'll ask the boss tommorrow.

nothing like just pushing a button to reset... :D

7. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Never thought of using breakers. Is there any cons about using curcuit breakers? I run my KCs, reverse lights, OBA clutch, elec fans, off my current fuse block.

8. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

good thing this thread popped back up, i had forgotten to ask him where we get the panels. ;)

i'm not an electrical engineer, but as far as i can tell, its only pro's, no cons... if they're quality pieces and properly rated, its all good... they just pop out and you reset em...

the ones i use have just a little white push button like this..
    [​IMG]

in is on, out is tripped.. i'll try to remember to ask about em tommorrow..

if you have oldschool glass style fuses you can also substitute in this style breaker..
    [​IMG]
    you reset em by pulling it out and putting it back in...