Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waterproofing a motor... snorkels... other stuff? -future project-

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jjlaughner, Sep 25, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Looking for ideas, info, pics and URL's on how to seal up an engine and finding/installing a snorkel on a blazer. Next summer I'm wanting to start a new project, but I want to start building the engine this winter. Thanks in advance, Jeremiah (still thinking 350 but might go for a 383 or 454.... Any IDEAS?)

2. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I think ORD's Green blazer has a in Truck Snorkel. That gets loud quickly though, I would think. Basic waterproofing of the engine envolves using a lot of silicon and grease, and finding a way to keep the computer dry. Don't forget to do something to protect your fan and radiator. When you hit water, The fan blade sometimes hits the radiator.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well I would not run it any deep than the bottom edge of the valve covers. To get it any more waterproof your going to have to do some serious work on the distributor that may not even work. You also risk water getting into the tranny down the TV or down shift cable.
    Hit your local parts store and buy some "Di Electric Grease" What it is for is using on electrical connection to prevent corrosion. Works good for water proofing the sparkplug boots. Als keeps the boots from seizing to the plugs so next tune up will be eaiser. With good quality plug wires that is your best ignigition defence. Use it on the cap side also. The distributor cap I would not seal to the housing. Reason being is some vapors do manage to come up the distributor drive shaft. If you make an air tight seal your probably going to create more of a chance of condinsation forming in the cap. Where the distributor is on a GM it's pretty well protected from a direct shot from tires or through the grill. What will get it is splashes after the water has hit something else. You can take some inner tube or bed mat and make some fill peices between the inner fenders and frame. THat will help prevent a lot of spray.
    Snorkle for the intake and that should do you a good job engine wise.
    WD40 sucks as a lubricant or a penetrating oil but it does do a very good job at what it was desgned for...drying out ignition. the "WD" stands for "Water Displacement 40th try"
    www.WD40.com Keep a can in the truck incase you do get some conensation in the cap.
    Route your vent lines up high and your set.

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

You could always do what some of the old military jeeps did and vent te distributor cap. I would think small air (emissions) pump would keep clean DRY air in / water out. But I don't have this problem... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

hey, shoot me a pm and ill tell/show u my setup. i used pvc and just things i had around here. it was absolutely free. o, im also in indiana, so mayb i can even help ya do it if u r interested.

NITRO

6. bluethunder

bluethunder Registered Member

To the best of my knowledge there was a Chevy military truck made sometime in the 50's maybe that had a 327 motor. All of the electrical components and stuff off of a military engine is waterproof. The downside that it is probably all 24 volt. But something you might want to consider anyway.

7. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif go diesel /forums/images/icons/smile.gif, no ignition to worry about except for glow plugs, i dont know much about those, i know that they glow when the motor is cold inside of the cyclender and they help ignite the fuel when the motors cold, just dont submerge the motor and leave it in water overnight and try to start it, but lol thats a bad idea anyway. only in them millitary hummv's can you do that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. jjlaughner

Well, more what I had in mind than deep water was just alot of creek crossings and in some places around me we get alot of standing water that would be fun to track through. I'm not looking at driving the disance of a creek though that would kind of cool. I was just considing while building a motor if there was things I could do to help my chances of water logging a motor I would try them. The thgouht of a truck in water or mud higher mid door sounds like to much work for me! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Thanks Jeremiah

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

That picture in my Avitar is close to 4ft of water /forums/images/icons/smile.gif It was up to the brake peddle. Oil pan was in the water and the fan a little bit.

10. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Crossing is iffy. I bought a chest wader just for that purpose. Sometimes, an area has been crossed through so many times, there are deep pits and ruts. I ran through once, and good thing for the fast approach speed.... the water actually at one point was higher than the hood! Some water got into the engine, but while water into the engine is bad, its nice to have a 350 where its able to handle a little water injested!

Anyways, I learned my lesson to wade through the water first, to find areas that were solid and shallow enough to cross through...Well, and I guess if you dont have an interior to worry about either, that would be good.

11. jjlaughner

I've been in a new 2000 dodge and went through water that you would say, it can't be that deep!? It just a few inches deep after all how far could the road be under water? We ended up having water come up over the hood washing up on the windsheild and I got my hand wet dangling out the window. Luckly it was only about 25 feet across and and maybe four feet deep in the center. We where trying to hydroplane over it at about 55 and when it hit the bumper it typhooned over the hood. Beings it was a new truck it had the factory splash guards from the wheel wells over the frame and door seals where real good so no major damage just re-adjust the grill inserts. I tried to get him to do it again so I could take a pic but said NO /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Even if he did I dont think he would have back after me. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif