Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waterproofing the dash... I'm so evil....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by reddog64, Dec 9, 2002.

1. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Waterproofing the dash... I\'m so evil....

OK my goal with Project Psycho Chicken is to be able to go mudding with the top off (it's a 74, full topper) and be able to pressure wash, or at least spray the whole thing out...

I can get a cover for cd player and cb, but what to do about the dash....? i wouldnt consider spraying it directly, but there's gotta be something to help it stay water proof...

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Re: Waterproofing the dash... I\'m so evil....

Take a look at the marine radio housings. You can strip the vinyl off the dash and sand it. Then get it sprayed with rhino liner.

3. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

as for the ac , stereo ect make new panel, flatten your dash with sheet metal, herc it weld it marine guages and buy 2 marine stereo covers.

I bought 2 for my river box that goes on a tube and down the river durring the summer, works great, some even lock and you can even put a seal around them, I can pressure wash mine and I took a 400 cd player down the river, now that shows quality. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

P.s. I have a 75 and just have a duumy radio in stock location and I'm hiding the nice one.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well the set up of the stock dash is about as good as it is going to get. The dash pad should prevent water getting into the back of the gages from the top. the lens is one peice. a rinch should be ok. I'd rip the inuslation off the fire wall so it doens hold water and get stinky. I'd be more worried about a shot up from under the dash that would get into the workings of the instruments.
    Im moving both my radio and CB up into a overhead I'm building. It will be simular to the Tuff drop down set up but the radio and CB will be fixed possition.