Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waterproofing wood and glass-like finishing

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, Jan 1, 2006.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm putting a lot of wood trim and panelling in my bathroom.
    I laid down a coat of floor-finishing polyurethane on a lot of the trim pieces so far, then I'll sand, recoat, sand, recoat, install, recoat. The panelling itself will only get two or three coats, laid on after I install it. I think if I precoat it, I won't be able to fit it together tongue and groove.

The wood is going around the wall behind the sink and the toilet. I'm sure it will get the occasional splash that doesn't get wiped off, but it will also be getting daily humidity from the shower.

Will that be enough to waterproof it?

Also, sometimes when I'm in restaraunts or just wherever, I see these wood tables that have like a 1/8" thick layer of clear coat or something on them that looks just awesome and polished.
    How can I get that?? Is that just like dozens and dozens of layers of poly, or some kind of lacquer or something??

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Urethane or varithane is what you're seein. You can buy urethane in one gallon buckets if I remember correctly.

3. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

if you were not talking to me on the phone, you coulda had a layer on RATCH.:rotfl: :rotfl: how do you make the blowwing dry sound?:laugh:

4. boggerless

i used the out door stain in my bathroom.deck stuff.like you said it will get sprayed ,i have a little man as you know.i figurered if it can handle the elements it can handle people.its not a clear coat though .brother.

5. chevblazk5

chevblazk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

What you're looking fo is an epoxy finish. Wodcraft.com has a good one that I've used few times with great results: clear coat kit #144501
    That glass-like finish is called a Mirror Coat, also available from woodcraft #143153. But, I don't think you can use that on a vertical surface as this finish if poured on not brushed on. I've used this finish on a bar that I've built for a customer and it turned out great, but it's a lot of work and if you're not paying attention it will ruin your project. Hope this helps.

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

hobby shops carry suff called liquid glass, one coat equale 40 coat of urathan.

you can put cars and paper under it, in the hobby shop they have a small piece of wood with a penny under the stuff.

just brush watered down white glue stick you stuff on and pour it over!

7. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

OK, good info, thanks brothas...

Hey Daryl, I told you I was watching paint dry! :haha: :haha:

8. boggerless

and i told you i was tired,i think.:laugh: keep the queen size bed ready for me brother(all you dirty minded folk,save it):laugh: :laugh: i'm done brother,i can't even see straight.:rolleyes: so much for crazy nights while i'm off for three days.:(