Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

wattery exhaust, foamy radiator

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by the excuse, Jan 18, 2004.

1. the excuse

the excuse 1/2 ton status

i have been having some steamy exhaust and wateer comes out at start up for the first few minutes. had my truck angles nose down for a few days and a lot of white smoke was coming from the pipes. the radiator is also foamy at the top. could the foam be from when i drained it a month ago. it hasnt been driven a lot but has had a few 30 minute trips. what could the problem be and how much/ how easy is it to fix. thanks

2. jess

jess Registered Member

Sounds like a bad head and/or head gasket. The foam at the top of the radiator and probably on the cap is most likely from engine oil mixed in with the water. Not good.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

white foam would be air,
    black or red or orange junk flaoting in the rad fluid would be oil

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

water from the exhaust is normal, and even a good thing.. water is a natural byproduct of combustion.. so in moderate amounts, it should come out of the exhaust..

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

well not normal if he has foam in his fluid! lol foamy radiator fluid means he has a problem with engine, most likely messed up head gasket or second most likely a cracked head, depends on casting number they are though

and if the water problem is bad enough and he gets too much water into a cylinder then he can end up with hydraulic lock of the piston thnaks to all the water and can end up ruining a rod and or rod bearing
    have seen it happen a few times,
    wont know if is damaged and wont knock until after leak cause is fixed

good luck

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

If the steam/vapor from the pipes smells like antifreeze it's a head gasget.
    With the radiator cap off and the engine running if there is lots of air bubbles coming to the surface it it probably a head gasget.
    Check the plugs too, antifreeze doesn't burn too well and the plug will start to foul.
    Most repair shops can perform a block leak test that will tell you if combustion gasses are present in the cooling system.
    How much depends on if you do it yourself or take it in.
    A decent head gasget set like Fel-pros is about $50.
    A shop will mark that up about 100% and charge about 8 hours labor.
    As for how easy... depends on what ya know how to do and if ya have the tools to do it.
    Replacing head gasgets is a pretty easy job IMOHO.
    If ya have to ask then I would say that clocking the distributor and running the overhead (valve lash) would be the biggest obstical.
    The distrubutor ia a no brainer and if ya do a search on valve lash you will find out more than you ever wanted to know on that subject. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    There is prolly a dozen ways to do it just pick one that makes sence to you and go for it.
    If ya get in a place you are unsure of there are plenty here that will break it down for ya.

8. rcurrier44

rcurrier44 1/2 ton status

I had a water pump go out on me that caused foaming in the radiator.