Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Waxing the Truck with My New Orbital Buffer?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-ton, Feb 23, 2006.

1. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought a new orbital buffer to wax my truck, and I am not much of an expert at auto detailing. I have never used an orbital buffer to wax a vehicle, and I was wondering if anybody out there has any pointers on the best method and type of wax I need to do the job right?

2. NYDIESELDAVE

NYDIESELDAVE 1/2 ton status

Depends on what you are trying to do I guess. First I'm not a detailer by trade, but I've done some rubbing in my day. First off, I would start with the lowest speed on the buffer. If you want to take some minor clear coat scratches out you needs an okay rubbing compound of about med grit, then a fine, and the a finishing polish. If you are just looking for a good wax, I like Excite paste wax, not the best but easy on and easy off. (Great for doing big vehicles) You won't even need the buffer for it. If you want a super durable wax I would recommend Collinite Insulator Wax. Just do one panel at a time. It is hard to put on and hard to take off. Put it on in the shade if you can. The stuff is tough as hell and will last for a good while, but the shine could be better. For fast, easy, nice shine, and cheap; I would try out Turtle Wax Platinum Wax System. A detailer I know says the stuff is pretty good. Hope this helps.

3. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Paste wax, don't use liquid. My experience, it does not work as well. Apply wax with your hand like you normally would, but use the terry cloth attachment on the buffer to take it off. Speeds it up dramatically. My wax choice is Classic (if you can find it) and Mother's. If you HAVE to use a liquid wax, Zymol is good.