Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

way to bend headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Nov 14, 2003.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok the headers on my truck..i think hang to low..the exits or collectors on them face more tords the ground..and i think they were bent to fit those damn pipes the guy put on them.. and im having a hell of a time bending my pipes to fit on there..and clear the t-case crossemeber at the same time..could i like heat the headers up and bend them back up or something??? that way i would have a much easier time fitting the pipes in and haveing them go over the cross-mem. with out hitting it..

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I bent mine around to fit, bent the passenger side to clear the driveshaft(still hit), and the driver side to clear clutch linkage. I used a porta power and was bending them from side to side. I would say heat them up and put a jacke under the collector and slowly jack up. Should be fine as long as you go slow. And leave the jack there for a while so they don't just spring back all the way.

3. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Dont know how well this would work, but my dad was tellin me a couple weeks ago, back in the 70's he had a cheap set of headers on his GTO, so he bolted em to the block, and then put a floorjack under the collector, and bent em up. May work, but dont know how thin the walls on these cheap headers were.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I think you best bet would be to buy new headers. I recomend (From Summit) Vendor: Thorley Headers
    Product Line: Thorley Tri-Y Headers
    Material: Steel
    Finish: Chrome Plated

The best way to get rid of your exhaust.

Chevrolet/GMC: 1973-87 283-400 K10-35 pickup/Suburban/Blazer/Jimmy, with air injection hook-ups, nickel chrome plated finish, Tri-Y style, headers

Thorley headers are designed to outflow your stock exhaust manifolds. This pair of headers increases gas mileage and gives your engine more horsepower across the entire rpm range. The Tri-Y configuration builds the most power in the middle rpm range, which is great for towing and steep grades. To make these headers last, Thorley made them out of durable 14-gauge mild steel, with 3/8 in. thick flanges and 5/16 in. collector rings. To prevent leaks, this set of headers has an O-ring welded into the flange in addition to the high temp gasket provided.

Sold as a pair.
    http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=DTE%2D364Y%2DS&view=257#largerimage [​IMG]

5. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

normally i would..but i dont have the money right now..and i dont actually plan on having this truck much longer due to financial issues....besides i have an s-10 sitting in my back yard that i have to fix up and get on the road. but the floor jack and heating idea is just what i was thinking..but i wanted to hear it from some other people first..maybe ill give it a go tomorrow.. worth a shot..i gatta get this damn stuff finished... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

That can work, be careful with heating process, there are many things vulnerable down there....

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea i know..i just used the torch the other day to cut my exhuast of..brake lines...fuel lines..i watch for all for that lol...

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Make sure they are bolted tightly to the block and use the floor jack to bend em cold. At most it's only 14 ga wall thickness. Thin enough to bend fairly easy, but thick enough that it shouldn't kink...unless you get too carried away.

Rene

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

so dont heatem at all?

10. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Depends how much they need bent. Cold bending would not work on my headers when I needed the passenger side closer to the frame rail to clear the driveshaft. They just kept springing back into place. I had to heat the tubes and use a big C clamp. Once they were where I wanted them I left the clamp in overnight and they are perfect now.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i just need to raise it up...not not to the left or right...i know they werent like this new! im gaan try it when i get home from work tonight..maybe just leave it there over night

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well i jacked up on them and they want to go tords the side of the truck rather than up, i dont get it..the angle is better but now they are practicly touching the front spring shackle...man im sick of these things...

13. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

hmnnn, maybe you could put a bottle jack between the frame and the header and push it back over?

14. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hmm i can check but i think the gap is way to small to fit one in...

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I used a 3 foot bar to pry mine away from the shackle...

Rene

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

ok ill try that

17. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If your planning on getting rid of the truck why not put some manifolds on it ????

18. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

i dunno..its questionable right now..getting rid of it is a last resort..but if i put manifolds on it..then i have no exhaust for it again...

19. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I see , /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifyou could always buy a set of those Flowtech headers from autozone for like 80 bucks is this on your blazer or the truck ?????

20. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

there on the pickup....the blazer is just a parts truck basicly...