Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Way to check for worn rod, crank bearings?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 90K5, Nov 13, 2002.

1. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

My TBI 350 has 167K on it right now, and many times under acceleration i get some strange noises from the engine, sounds like something is loose in there...every time this happens the SES light comes on with a code 43...something wrong with ESC circuit. I've determined that nothing is wrong with the ESC system though, and i think its something internal inside the engine, and maybe the knock is too mcuh for the knock sensor to retard the timing, so it just sets off the SES light. Someone else on here had the same problem too, dont remember who though. Anyway, cant i pull the oil pan and checek the beairngs to see if there is a lot of play in them, possible causing this? How much are bearings? I'd like this engine to last a while longer but with this many miles i know its time is coming...would repalcing these even be worth it?

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

my old 350 had some play in the crank bearings. when i started the motor you could hear the crank bounce around in the bearing, but as soon as it fired up it never made any noise. but this is only my experience. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

3. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

You could pull the pan and then pul a coule rod caps and a few main bearing caps and take a look at the bearing...if they are trashed, you could replace them, although this is difficult with the engine in the truck...the rod bearing aren't to bad but the main bearins would be a pain..also, if the bearings are trashed, then the crank journals may also be messed up pretty good...in this case, enven new bearings would not prevent the inevitable rebuild..but it is worth checking out...pull the rod caps and see what the bearing tells you...also make sure the valve train is nice and tight...a rocker walking around on you might cause a similar noise...

The bearings are cheap...I think an entire Clevite77 engine bearing kit is less than $100, including the cam bearings...

Chris /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

summit racing, sbc 350, i think it was 22 for the mains 7 for the cam bearings,and 18 for the rods. i just buy these all the time. they are fedral mogul too so there pretty good
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

i think its best not to worry about, seriously, unless it starts fu*k'n up big time, i might throw some 20w50 in it, but id worry more about other things, unless you dont mind fix'n it. id do some hard core investigation or take it to a friend who is a machanic and have him lisin to it, or test drive it, that should get you a good answer, btw i know 20w50 is a bandaid fix. good luck.

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

6. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I's kinda wondering the same thing. I know i have a header leak, and suspect(hope) this is what makes this noise, but tell me what ya think. When its lugging, it sounds almost like marbels in a pop can rattiling around. It dont sound Exactly like that, but thats the closest thing i can think of. What ya think it is? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

pinging, preignition, detonation, beans in a coffe can.
    Most likely your timing is too far advanced, a tank of bad gas will do it too.
    But I would be willing to bet that your timing is off, most engines like around 36 deg of total timing.
    Advance weights that are stuck open can give you headaches as well.
    if you have a 305 they arey are real prone to pinging.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Does the engine have decent oil pressure? Normally if there is severe wear on the rod or main bearings, your oil pressure will drop off to about 0 at idle. A loose timing chain can also trigger the knock sensor.

9. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

if you think the noise is in the crank area drop the pan.
    a loose rod bearing will be obvios, if you have any movement in them it is wasted.
    drop the mains one by one if the rods are ok.
    You can replacethe rod and main bearings as a quick fix.
    I swapped out a 4.3 crank in an astro van and did it with the engine in the rig. I did that 6 years ago and that rig is still running today.

10. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

If your oil pressure is really low, its probably your bearings

11. RedBrute

RedBrute 1/2 ton status

Drop the pan, plastigage 2 or three of the rods and 2 or 3 mains to find out what you got. While you're in there, put a new oil pump in it, especially if you put new rods/mains in. Oil pump sees all the trash in your oil BEFORE the filter sees it.

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Hmmmm, didn't even think of the timing chain...it actually has really good oil pressure, been running 20w-50 in there for about a year now, and have well over 10 psi/1000 RPM's, usually cruiing at about 1500-2000 RPM's (guessing on that) its got about 45 psi...every now and then it gets pretty close to 60...this is trusting my electric gauge though

13. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

thats cool, i want to put water temp, oil pressure, and alternator gauges in my truck, i really want them, anyone got any tips for installing gauges, and what brand, i dont need fancy 100$ gauges, i just want simple gauges( i have a custom delux) and have only dummy lights, and its gay sometimes. but i thought it would be cool to have gauges. BTW your blazer looks kick ass..

/forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif