Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Way To Go Beavs!!!!

Discussion in 'Pacific Region' started by 55Willy, Dec 29, 2006.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

the OSU beavers just pulled off a sweet victory in the sun bowl.
    behind by 14 with 10 minutes left they ended up scoring both TD's with the last touchdown with 22 seconds left. I asked my buddy do ya go for 2 or just the one point field goal, he is like i dunno the beavs don't normaly go for two.....

well they did go for two and they made it.

39 to 38 OSU!!! over the missouri tigers.

PS we closed work early just for the game :)

2. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

Damn I missed that game.I was outside welding on my beadlocks,cccolddd...

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers... I ain't a beav fan, but that was a heck of a bowl win for them. Good season. Beat USC, beat Oregon, beat Hawaii in hawaii, and then won their bowl. Great year.

j

4. chasone64

chasone64 Registered Member

I was at work & didn't see the game. Glad to hewr they won & sounds like I missed a good one!!

5. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

OOOOO SSSSSSSSS UUUUUUUUU

OREGON STATE - FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

They do me proud!

Oh yeah - and f!ck the Ducks!

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

L.M.A.O. :haha: :haha: !!

7. W7NB

W7NB 1/2 ton status

I guess that makes sense - considering he comes from Boring:haha::haha::haha:

8. IGOR

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hey, them's fighting words :laugh: ..............yeah, the Ducks sucked this year.

Kudos to the Beavers (any good publicity for the state is good for recruits).

Daughter's boyfriend is a redshirt at UO so I'm a confirmed Duck fan for the duration since she got accepted a couple of weeks ago to attend next year I'm almost officially a U of O Dad.............so we'll get ya next year.

10. IGOR

I'm sorry - well we'll always have the memories... :wink1: :D

I was in Best Buy just before Christmas and there was a guy getting in line behind us where a Duck sweatshirt - I turned to my brother and said "I'd be embarrassed to be wearing a Duck shirt after their Bowl Game." Unbeknownst to me, there was a woman right in front of us wearing a '95 Cotton Bowl Duck sweat shirt - she yelled "Hey!" Luckily she had a sense of humor about it.

LOL - I felt a little sheepish - but come on - did you see the Ducks' new helmets? They were Sssssuper Sssspecial!

Got to give props to my alma mater! And how about Boise State last night - did you see that game? I think that was about the best football game I've ever seen! And of course they are one of OSU's 4 losses this year... Argh!

11. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Yeah, that was about the best game I've ever seen..................closely matched by the UO/OU game I was at in September 4 rows off the field in the end zone at Autzen. And to think, I'm an Sooner fan first, Ducks second, both got beat this year...........OU overcame a lot of adversity but yes, gotta give props to BSU. They should enjoy it, I doubt they'll get close to that level again soon, if ever. One of our Barlow seniors signed with BSU recently to play linebacker there.

12. jekbrown

I'm not sure how many good recruits are gonna stay in the northwest when you have Boise State doing what they are doing. Right now if I had a choice between U of O and BSU I'd say "hell no" to Uncle Phil and head for the blue field!

j

13. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I don't think so.............you have got to see the facilities at UO to believe the draw it has. I have. Big time. My daughter's boyfriend was recruited and had full ride offers from ASU, Colorado, Cal, OSU, UO and those were the ones he culled it down to and chose UO for the proximity to home, the facilities, the education and the Nike influence (like it or not).

BSU has to prove it more than one year and play real non-conference games to be taken seriously (not to mention get rid of that hideous smurf turf). Yes, they played the Beavers this year, but that is the only non-conference game that was even respectable. NOT playing an Alabama, or Auburn, or Oklahoma, or USC, or Tennessee. At least UO and OSU play some tough non-conference teams. No discredit to BSU, they put together a great year and beat a power (albeit one which was not it's usual top 5 quality due to losing their quarterback before the season started) but if they want to be taken seriously they NEED to set up some tough home and home series like the Ducks did against Oklahoma. Beavers need to do that too, come to think of it.............

As I said, a friend of my daughters orally committed to BSU, a kid I've known for years, and believe me, I'll pull for them almost as hard as I do for OU and UO, but truth be told, he couldn't get a look at OSU or UO.

14. IGOR

I listen to Cowherd on 1080 AM - and he had a good point - said that USC had an opening for next season @ USC - if the BSU wanted to starting getting supporters - they should take that open slot.

One thing about the Ducks this year - Bellotti just didn't seem to have it. The calls he made at the end of Civil War (pulling his starting kicker, kicking a field goal on 4 & 1 (or 2) instead of giving the ball to Stewart - when Stewart was getting 5-6 yards every drive on my Beavs, then talking trash about BYU before & AFTER their a$$-kicking "BYU would finish last in the Pac-10 or whatever he said" - I've always respected him - but gotta question some of the choices there- - Not to mention the monkeying around all season between the quarterbacks - WTF was that all about? Pick one and stick with him. I think the Ducks need some new blood there - their bowl record is seriously dragging the last several years.

15. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Good points Ben. I agree on the Belotti thing on all counts. Maybe he knew Moos was leaving and was already politicing for the job? Who knows, either way, they were NOT prepared for BYU. Same with the QB's. Staci's bf said the same thing - all the guys in the locker room were wishing the same thing - PICK ONE dangit and stick with him.

16. jekbrown

bling facilities and 7-7 or not-so-bling facilities and 13-0... you decide I guess.

you do know that BSU is like 58-7 over the last 5 years right? I know U of O plays better teams, but they lost as many games this year than BSU has in the last 5 years combined. U of O lost to some TERRIBLE teams this year. Arizona? what?! Good facilities and fugly uniforms or not. This year BSU played some good teams and won. This thread is all about how good of a year OSU had... well, BSU beat them down 42-14. They also outscored Hawaii. If you just took the exact same team and put them in Notre Dame they would be in the National Championship game... no question whatsoever. The Broncos have been punished for not being one of the "good old boys of football".

I dunno.... IMO U of O is pretty much the Portland Trailblazers of the college football world. "Owner" with tons of cash... great facilities etc... ain't goin' no where. That Oregon was ever ranked in the top 25 this year shows just what a farce all of these stupid "polls" and junk really are. College football has been messed up for decades... this isn't the 1st year or anything... but they need a playoff really, REALLY bad to be a legit post season. Silly thing is, the NCAA does it with basketball and its one of the coolest things in sports.... but for some reason (cough cough... good old boys trying to keep all the power/money..cough...!) they refuse to set up a playoff in college football. Its a joke.

I think that the main reason BSU doesn't "play anyone good" is because most teams that have national title aspirations are scared of playing a team like BSU. They know if BSU plays their hearts out and beats them, their championship hopes are dashed. There ain't a good team in the NCAA who wants to schedule BSU. By not doing so, the "good ol boys" win twice... they don't have to face the Broncos... and at the end of the year they can stick their noses in the air and say "but look at their schedule! they didn't play anyone good!". :rolleyes:

j

17. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Apologies to Ben for this morphing off into lala land. :haha:

18. jekbrown

I don't know if BSU would have beat USC this year or not... UCLA beat down USC though... that tells me all I need to know about them... the Oregon loss aside.

All I'm saying is that they need a playoff. That is how you find out who the best team in the country is, not a bunch of polls about who's the best. If the Boise States of the world get beat down every year in the first round... fine... but the way the system is now, they don't have ANY chance, no matter how good they play. They could have won every single game this year 45-0 and they still wouldn't be in the championship game. If you ain't a big Florida school, or Nebraska, or Notre Dame or Michigan or USC or Ohio or one of the other good ol' boy schools... the NCAA doesn't want you winning much of anything... they just want to "keep you in your place". They do it with polls, scheduling, $$$$, and the lack of a playoff.

I think they need to do two things: use NO polls until the 5th game of the year. This would get rid of the moronic "what you did last year means something this year!" thing. At the end of the year, you take the top 10-12 teams and have a playoff. Any team with a legit complaint about being #1 will be in that group. From that point, its just like the NCAA basketball tourney. You win, you move on... you lose, you go home.

j

19. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Well said. Agree 100%.

BTW - did you see that posting on Oregon Bushhackers about a job opening for an architect a while back?

20. IGOR

I don't know if I agree about a college football playoff - the one thing that the BCS has given us is a VERY exciting football season. Who has a better regular season than college football? Nobody watches all of the college basketball season - who cares until the NCAA tourney starts?

How many games were played this Fall that had national title implications? There were a lot! How exciting was the Ohio State / Michigan game? Then you had UCLA knocking USC out of the national championship right at the end of the season.

Right now with the BCS setup, the teams that want to be good MUST pick good teams to play - if they don't - they languish like Boise State did, going 13-0 but little national respect.

If there were a playoff - everyone would try and get the best record possible playing patsy's (like Boise State did) to try and get the best possible berth into the playoffs.

A playoff would also relegate supreme current bowls to a lesser status. The Rose Bowl / Sugar Bowl, etc will be just another stepping stone to the national championship.

The BCS has given us several GREAT bowl games this year. Boise State / Oklahoma was a great game - so was Oregon State / Missouri, Florida State / UCLA - how about Minnesota / Texas Tech? The computer picked great matchups this year

I used to be on your guys' side - "we need a college football playoff" - but after this awesome, awesome season - I don't know if I agree...